Friday, January 19, 2018

Page 1495

Is that really all you have to say?’ said Garovel, able to sound less annoyed than Hector figured he was probably feeling.

And apparently, that was all Malast had to say, because he did not respond, instead choosing to simply close his eyes.

Hector thought the strange man might genuinely fall asleep until Eleyo stepped forward in the sparse light.

“Pardon me, but what did you mean when you said that I could become a god?”

Malast sighed another time but still didn’t open his eyes. “This is why I could never take interest in you like the others could. You always need everything explained to you. It’s exhausting, you know that?”

“What ‘others’ are you talking about?” said Eleyo.

“See? It’s always more questions with you people. I’d feel bad for you, if I could bring myself to care a little more.”

That response seemed to give Eleyo pause, and Hector couldn’t blame him. What the hell were you supposed to say to something like that?

Eleyo managed to find something, though. “Perhaps you would like to ask us some questions, instead.”

That got the eyes open. “Hmm.” Malast looked them over. “Normally, I would say that you have no answers that would interest me, but alright. You. Iron One.”

That was him, Hector knew. “Y-yeah?”

“Have you met a god before?” said Malast.

Oh, boy. Hector considered how to answer that. He eyed Garovel.

Say whatever you like,’ the reaper said privately.

“...Sort of,” Hector decided to say. “It’s, ah... tough to say without knowing exactly what you consider to be a god.”

“And did you receive a blessing from this sort-of-god?”

“Ah-ah,” intervened Eleyo again, “he answered one question of yours, so now you must answer one of ours. I believe that is only fair.”

Yet another sigh from the God of Boredom. “Fine, go ahead.”

Eleyo didn’t wait to consult anyone else about what they should ask. “Why are you here?” he said.

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You cannot answer a question with another question,” said Eleyo.

“I’m pretty sure I can,” said Malast.

“Then we will do the same for yours,” Eleyo countered. “Is that what you want?”

“No, it isn’t. There. I have answered one of your questions properly. Now I can ask a second.”

Hector heard Eleyo growl, but Malast had won that round, it seemed.

“Iron One,” said Malast. “Did you receive a blessing from this god of yours?”

“...What does ‘blessing’ mean?”

“You are not allowed to answer with a question,” said Malast, eyeing Eleyo. “Answer to the best of your understanding.”

Hector exhaled. “Right... uh.” He supposed he had some idea of what Malast meant. “I believe he did bless me, yeah. I mean, he even said as much, so...”

“What is this ‘blessing’ you speak of?” reiterated Eleyo, having apparently decided that Hector’s question was worth asking next.

No comments:

Post a Comment