Thursday, November 28, 2013

Page 379 -- XLIV.

Chapter Forty-Four: ‘Hark! Thy distant troubles...!’
Click to display entire chapter at once -- (mobile link)

Gina sat up in her chair. “Master Roman! Where are you? You haven’t contacted me for weeks.”

<“Yeah, my phone kind of blew up. It’s no big deal. I’ve got a new one now.”>

“How did your phone get destroyed?”

<“Oh, um. I dropped it.”>

Gina squinted. “You dropped your phone, and it exploded.”

<“Yeah. That’s a thing that can happen. I don’t see what’s weird about it.”>

“Master Roman, why are you lying to me? And moreover, why are you sucking at it?”

<“I have other things on my mind right now, okay? Dammit, Voreese! Shut up! I’m trying to talk to Gina! Agh--she can’t hear you! You know she can’t hear you, so you’re just being annoying for no fucking reason! Stop already or--”> There was a pause, then a sigh of exasperation. <“Voreese says hi.”>

“Hi, Voreese.”

<“Gina says hi. Yeah. Great. Now shut up. Yes, I know you can’t let go of me right now! Just be quiet!”> Another pause, and Roman cleared his throat. <“Sorry about that. It’s been a stressful week.”>

“Did something happen?”

<“We met up with some more Vanguard forces, but they weren’t very forthcoming. They were giving us the run around and just generally being unhelpful pricks.”>

“And?”

<“And Lynnette stole something from them, and they got all pissed. Then I stole a bigger something. An airplane-shaped something.”>

“You stole a plane from the Vanguard?!”

<“Yeah!”> laughed Roman. <“Stole the pilot, too. Pretty nice guy. Bit jumpy, but nice.”>

“Wait.” Gina’s brow lowered. “What happened to your private jet?”

<“Oh, um. Yeah, don’t worry about the private jet. It’s fine.”>

“It’s not fine at all, is it?”

<“It’s at the bottom of a swamp.”>

“How did that happen?!”

<“That’s not important.”>

“I think it is!”

<“Everything is under control. I only called to let you know that we haven’t died horribly yet.”>

“Fantastic. In that case, I have news for you, too. You remember Hector, yes?”

<“Yeah?”>

13 comments:

  1. These cliffhangars are really becoming your specialty Mr. Frost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well he's the darksteel soldier now. Basically he's an iron master, and he's got a destroyer with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...was that a star wars reference? Ship under swamp?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, no, it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just seems that way because everything is in chunks. Any book can become full of cliffhangers if every chapter is a page or less. That said, we both know Mr. Frost is very good at this writing stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Changed my mind. This is my favorite page so far. And I will probably get more favorites along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear, I love Roman, Reese, Gina, and Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could favorite a page, this one would be at the very tip of my list. This page was glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha this is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... my.. God. I can only hope that there is a Reaper nearby so I can be revived after I die of laughter, then I can continue reading it.

    ReplyDelete