Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Page 3236

Hector paused. Truthfully, he'd been about to ask the same thing. Either that, or the Vanguard. He wasn't sure which one he would've asked after first. "...No, I'm not. Are you?"

'No. But are you being truthful? It is okay if you are a member. It will not prompt me to attack you, if that is what you are thinking. I promise.'

"Yes, I'm being truthful. Are you?"

'Heh. Yes. In fact, I am quite the opposite of Abolish.'

Hector had a feeling. "So you're with the Vanguard, then?"

'I am. Is that a problem for you?'

That was a loaded question with many ways of being answered. Hector decided to keep things simple, though. Much like this guy here, he wasn't trying to make enemies for no reason. "Not at all. Do you know Harper Norez?"

'As a matter of fact, I do. Charming fellow. With a good heart.'

"I can only agree. I consider him a friend."

'That is heartening to hear. Might you be willing to tell me your name, now?'

Agh. That was a tough one. All things considered, it would probably be fine to say that much. It was only his name. But still, Hector was hesitant. He knew only too well that the Vanguard was not wholly good and trustworthy.

He decided to risk it. "I'll tell you my name first, if you promise to tell me yours after."

'A fair exchange. Very well.'

Hector didn't mind going first, because this way, if the guy reneged on his promise, then he would still learn something about the man's character. Namely, that he couldn't be trusted to keep his word. And that would be a much more valuable piece of information to have. "My name is Hector."

'Mine is Xander. Nice to meet you.'

"Same." The gears in Hector's brain started turning as soon as he heard that. Xander? Xander... A Vanguardian named Xander.

It was familiar, though he wasn't sure where he'd heard it from. He recalled Garovel telling him about some of the Vanguard higher-ups. The most famous among them. Maybe it had been then. Because now he was recalling.

"...You're the Magician of Light," said Hector. "The keeper of the Golden Hour."

The Golden Hour was a Fusion Forge, one of the most coveted objects on the planet, just like Cocora's Candle. On second thought, maybe it was Abbas who'd told him about the Magician.

Or... maybe this was knowledge that the Candle itself had imparted to him. Somehow, his uncertainty made Hector feel like that might actually be the most likely explanation. Which was a little worrying, in its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment