Monday, February 6, 2023

Page 3214

"Well, at least you're in good spirits about it," said Raul.

"What, you think I'd be some kind of sourpuss? Some kind of Negative Nancy? Never. Now why don't you go ahead and identify yourself for me, hmm? Undo your Invisibility and lemme get a good look at ya. Pretty please?"

Huh. So this guy couldn't actually see through the Invisibility? How had he been able to catch him, then? "I would, but you see, I'm terribly shy. And ugly, besides. I'd hate to scar you with the shocking ghastliness of my visage."

Vanderberk chuckled. "What if I promise not to make fun of you, no matter how hideous you are?"

"Ah. A kind offer, but I don't think so."

"Hehe. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I really must insist."

"And I'm afraid I must insist right back. Counter-insist, if you will."

"You're pretty funny for a Rainlord."

At that remark, Raul had no words. His mind froze up. So the bastard already knew.

"I didn't think you people had a sense of humor. Every time I've encountered one of you in the past, you always came across as such wet blankets. Which maybe was appropriate, given your namesake, eh?"

Still, Raul didn't know what to say. Did Vanderberk really know who they were? Or was he just guessing? Either way, Raul didn't want to confirm or deny anything.

"Why so quiet all of a sudden, friend? You were so chatty a moment ago. Could it be that you didn't realize how much I knew about you? Hope I didn't say anything too off-putting."

He had to respond, Raul knew. "...You sure sound confident about your information."

"I do, don't I? But then, I'm a confident guy. One of my better qualities, I'd say. Which is saying a lot, because I have many good ones."

Damn. Raul wanted to at least learn something useful from this situation, but Vanderberk wasn't giving much away. "What makes you think I'm a Rainlord?"

"Multiple things, not the least of which is the fact that my boys have been duking it out with you guys for weeks, now. You didn't think your skirmishes with Croll would go unreported, did you? You woulda needed to kill him during your first encounter for that to be the case. Oh, and there's also the small detail of a whole buncha Rainlords being held here as prisoners. Doesn't take a genius like me to connect those particular dots, though it does help."

So he already knew about the prisoners, too.

Fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment