Sunday, February 26, 2023

Page 3234

"Anything you could tell me about them would be appreciated," said Hector. "I have a feeling that I'll be encountering them again, relatively soon." Assuming he ever made it out of this place, that was. But he could ask about that next, he figured.

The voice took a moment to answer him, perhaps debating how much he wanted to say. 'I have heard talk of a recent... breakthrough among a certain group of transfigurers. Supposedly, they have been able to achieve some truly monstrous forms, akin to, as you mentioned, dinosaurs.'

He'd heard talk, huh? Hector doubted that the guy would tell him where from, but decided to ask, anyway. "Where'd you hear that?"

'I'm afraid that might be revealing too much about myself.'

Well, at least he was straightforward about his refusal to answer. "Do you know if they have any weaknesses?"

'I do not. If I did, you can be assured that I would tell you.'

Oh? "So you're not on their side, then?"

And the voice paused again, probably thinking. '...No, I am not. Nor would it seem are you. We might have more in common than we realized.'

"Maybe so." Hector was still wary of growing too trustful, though. And before he started asking riskier questions, he wanted to get some fundamental stuff out of the way. "But first, can you tell me what this place actually is? You called it a Lower Realm?"

'Yes. Or a Foundational World, as some call it. A place where only a single element resides. A building block of the world of the living. The world that, I suspect, you and I both come from.'

Hmm. "Does that mean there are Higher Realms, too?"

'I believe so, though I have yet to visit any of them personally. And I pray I never do, as should you.'

"Why?"

'Hyper time dilation,' said the voice. 'In the Lower Realms, time passes more slowly. MUCH more slowly. This factor alone can be of great benefit, though as I expect you've already realized, merely existing in these places puts a great strain on you. I would advise you to leave as soon as you are able.'

"Yeah, I wanted to ask you about that next, but go on. Are you about to tell me that the Higher Realms are the opposite?"

'Indeed. Time passes far more quickly. So if you are ever unlucky enough to find yourself there, it may well be the end of everything you currently know and love by the time you return. Hence why I have never had a strong desire to visit, though I admit they do intrigue me greatly.'

Holy shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment