Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Page 1849

((Triple Wednesday -- Page 2 of 3))
“Really?” said Hector, not having known that. “The royalists believe the Queen was chosen by Cocora?”

I think it’s a little more complicated than that, but basically, yeah,’ said Voreese.

“Hence why I have trouble calling myself a royalist, even though I obviously do support the Queen,” said Roman.

Hector could understand that. He wasn’t so sure he would be able to call himself a royalist, either, in that case--or why it was politically relevant, for that matter.

He wanted to keep an open mind, though. It was not lost on him, the fact that he was stepping into an arena that was very different from what he was accustomed to. It didn’t seem like a good idea to go into it with too many preconceived notions about the way these things should or shouldn’t work.

From the sound of it, though, it seemed like Roman wouldn’t agree with that sentiment. “Anyway, the royalists are mostly a bunch of a small-minded pricks trying to get in the way of progress.”

Hector couldn’t help laughing. “Your objectivity impresses me,” he said dryly.

Roman gave a shrug. “Look, I’m not your history teacher.”

Yeah, that’s my job,’ said Garovel. ‘Don’t try to teach him your biased version of events. Only I’m allowed to do that.

Roman looked to Voreese. “It’s the truth, isn’t it?”

Of course not, you ignorant douche. The royalists are all about protecting the system--you know, the one that’s been in place for over three hundred years now and that seems to be doing pretty well for the people of this country?

“You mean the system that’s currently threatening to collapse and plunge the nation into poverty? THAT system?”

YES, that system! The solution is to preserve what works and fix what doesn’t! Not to shit on everything, you barbaric fuck!

“Oh, here we go...”

Shut up,’ said Voreese. ‘I’m not saying the current system is perfect, or that I agree with royalists all the time, but there’s definitely something to be said for the importance that they place upon traditionalism.

That is the absolute last argument I ever expected to hear from you,’ said Garovel.

Really?’ said Voreese. ‘Garovel, I’ll have you know, I am very old-fashioned kinda gal, deep down.

“Horseshit,” said Roman. “You’re always yappin’ to me about shit that you wanna change.”

Yeah, but it’s gotta be the CORRECT shit!

“Yeah. And it usually is.”

NO, IT USUALLY FUCKING ISN’T! That’s the whole point! You need to be really fucking careful whenever you decide to disregard conventional wisdom, dammit! Oftentimes, it’s conventional for a good fucking reason!

Alright, alright,’ said Garovel. ‘We’re getting sidetracked here. And Voreese, I’m not sure yelling is helping your case.

Bah.

Roman took a moment to put his hand on Gina’s shoulder. “Sorry. I was just arguing with Voreese again.”

“Yeah, I could tell,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment