Saturday, February 10, 2024

Page 3512

“Absurd,” said Zeff. “You claim you were essentially a son to him, and yet none else knew of your existence? If you were so close with Agam, then he would have made that clear.”

“And yet he did not. What does that tell you of his character?”

“Nothing. But it tells me that you have the character of a liar.”

“Mm. You are much like Gerard.”

Zeff stuck on that. The name of his father.

Gohvis just observed him for a few silent moments before continuing. “I appeared like this before him, as well.” A beat passed. “Well, not quite like this, I suppose. My projections were less refined. But it was similar enough. And he did not believe me, either. Nor did your grandfather, for that matter. The fiery, little Emilio. Now he was a belligerent one. I’m glad that you do not appear to have inherited his temper, at least.”

Zeff was at a loss. Could any of that be true? He remembered searching Axiolis’ memories of his father and grandfather both, but he didn’t recall any mention of his father meeting the Monster of the East.

His grandfather, though...

There had been something, hadn’t there? An encounter in Ardora that the man had only spoken of twice that Ax remembered, late into the man’s life.

Emilio Elroy said that he’d fought the Black Scourge in a tomb beneath a mountain. He said that the Black Scourge had even tried to strike a bargain with him after spouting off a bunch of nonsense.

“...My father never mentioned meeting you,” said Zeff.

“No? Ah. That is believable, now that I think of it. I believe our meeting was not long before his passing.” Gohvis’ tone shifted into one noticeably more somber. “Before everyone’s passing, I should say.”

Zeff made no response.

“Gerard and Emilio both had strong biases against me, thanks to the Vanguard,” said Gohvis. “Now... I suppose I am hoping that, with all you have been through, you will not be seduced by that same allure.”

“...If any of that is even remotely true, then why are you only appearing before me now? Why wait so many years? Why not show yourself to me when I was merely a child and far more impressionable?”

A low rumble arrived from the dragon man’s chest. A laugh? “Impressionable, you say? I observed you a bit during that time. You were not impressionable at all, in my estimation. You were more like... a little ball of righteous indignation. I do not think you would have been very receptive to me in the least.”

No comments:

Post a Comment