Thursday, February 8, 2024

Page 3510

“So you can just appear in front of whoever you want, wherever you want, is that it?” said Zeff.

The Monster made no response.

Unsurprising, Zeff supposed. Gohvis had no reason to explain how his powers worked. In fact, he had every reason not to. At his level, maintaining such secrets was no doubt quite important, whenever possible. And considering how little the world seemed to know of this man despite his age, Zeff had to think that Gohvis took his secret-keeping efforts quite seriously.

Meaning he should probably watch his words here.

Yes. Logically, he knew that.

But his logic was not entirely in control, right now.

“Graves told me something of your abilities,” he went on. “You are not truly here with me, are you?”

Still no answer.

Zeff did have a point that he was getting to, though. “Whatever trick that is... might you teach it to my daughter? So that she and I can speak directly like this?”

“A bold ask,” said Gohvis.

“That is what you are doing, isn’t it? Teaching her? Or am I mistaken?”

Gohvis paused briefly. “Where did you come by this impression? I do not recall telling you my intentions for her.”

It was Zeff’s turn not to say anything. He wasn’t about to tell the man that Hector had some kind of psychic link with Emiliana via the Shards of the Dry God.

“You are surprisingly calm, as well,” said Gohvis. “I thought you would give me a harder time here.”

“I probably should. And I probably will, if you don’t give me some assurances, at the very least.”

“Assurances, is it? That is doable. But I did not come here to speak with you of Emiliana, so perhaps we can find an accord between the two of us.”

Zeff cocked an eyebrow. “An accord? Regarding what?”

“Graves.”

Zeff’s jaw tightened. “What about Graves?”

“You can’t trust him, you know. He is using you and all your kin like pieces on a game board.”

“Yes, I remember you saying that before. But you are not exactly a paragon of trustworthiness yourself, Monster of the East.”

“Mm. Even so, I advise you not to get too deeply involved with him.”

Zeff hadn’t been planning on it, but the mere fact that Gohvis was apparently going so far out of his way just to tell him this... was making Zeff quite curious. “Why not?”

No comments:

Post a Comment