Friday, February 9, 2024

Page 3511

“Graves has a long history of backstabbing and betrayal,” said Gohvis. “Shall I list specific historical instances of it? We will be here for quite some time, and you will have no way of verifying my information, as he always goes to great lengths in order to cover his tracks. Even your reapers have probably only heard whispers about him, at most.”

“How narratively convenient for you,” said Zeff.

“Think so, do you? Tell me. What do you think would have happened if you had been rendered unconscious by Graves like the rest of your kin? Hmm? Think he would have come clean about everything, explained the whole situation to you?” Gohvis waited for him to say something, but Zeff merely remained quiet, so he continued on. “No, he would have swept it all under the rug. At best, he would have kept you completely in the dark about his presence. At worst, he would have not only recaptured all the prisoners you just freed but also captured the rest of you, as well.”

“Hypothetical situations are not going to convince me of anything,” said Zeff. “Why do you even care what happens here?”

“Why shouldn’t I? You are a noble people. I should not like to see your time cut short by yet another betrayal.”

“Ridiculous. You care nothing for us.”

“But I do. I’ve my own history with your kin, though I doubt you’ve heard much of it. If any.”

“Your doubt would be correct, then. I’ve heard nothing about any relation you have to us.” Well, that wasn’t entirely true, he knew. Parson Miles had mentioned something, but Zeff refused to trust those words.

Gohvis fell quiet for a time. “I have ties not just to your kin as a whole, but to House Elroy, in particular. To Agam Elroy, specifically.”

Zeff’s eyes widened.

Agam.

There that feeling was again. The feeling that there something he was missing. Something right in front of his face, perhaps, that he simply couldn’t see.

“How did you know Agam?”

“He... raised me, you might say.”

What in the world? “Agam Elroy raised you? How could that possibly be true?”

“To be clear,” said Gohvis. “I am not a Rainlord. But when I was born, I was alone. I had nothing and no one. No parents. No kin of my own at all. And Agam, being the odd yet noble-hearted man that he was, decided to care for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment