Thursday, February 1, 2024

Page 3506

Zeff had to admit, Ax was making a lot of sense. Enough, perhaps, that he was even starting to view Hector and Garovel in a new light. And perhaps the Rainlords as a whole, as well. Just a bit.

Hmm.

Have you not felt it yourself, Zeff? In their presence? A kind of... gravitational pull, of sorts? I know I have.

Zeff made no response. He had some idea of what the reaper was talking about, but he wasn’t sure.

Octavia spoke up in his stead. “What do you mean by that? Gravitational pull?”

I’m not entirely certain, myself. Despite everything I’ve said, and despite my trepidation about asteros in general, I am also of the belief that there is yet more to them.

“To Hector and Garovel or to all asteros?”

All of them. I gave you my opinion of what seems the most rational explanation for their existence. But I harbor other views, as well. Views which I’m sure you will be much less receptive to, being the godless heathens that you are.

“Okay, Ax,” said Octavia, taking a defensive and doubtful tone. “I had almost forgotten about this side of you. But I suppose if you’re willing to share your crackpot religious views on the matter, then I am willing to listen.”

How kind of you.

Zeff knew that the two of them were mostly exaggerating. Ax didn’t really think they were heathens, nor did Octavia think that Ax was a crackpot. This was just their way of poking fun at one another and lightening the mood.

...Probably.

“Are you about to tell us that you think Lhutwë is somehow responsible for the existence of asteros?” asked Zeff.

No, I don’t think so,’ said Ax. ‘But many who have studied asteros over the eons have come to think that, perhaps, their suffering is... in some way the will of the gods. Various gods. In various Ardoran cultures, for instance, they have their own term for asteros. They call them “kridanaki,” which means “playthings of the gods.”

“And that’s what you believe, too?” said Octavia.

...A bit, yes. I’ll admit that I am uncertain, at least. But I simply find it too difficult to believe that all of the misfortune that I have seen so many asteros endure over the ages can be chalked up entirely to... their own doing. The idea that some invisible force may be involved seems... possible to me. Likely, even.

No comments:

Post a Comment