Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Page 3382

Even if what you say is true,’ said Garovel, ‘that does not render Sai-hee without blame, no? A leader takes responsibility for her subordinates, especially in the eyes of the public. If this Ariana was such a loose cannon, then Sai-hee can at least be faulted for not dealing with her before the situation exploded into so many lost lives.

I do not mean to claim that Sai-hee is some perfect being who always makes the right decision,’ said Ericoros. ‘And your assessment is a fair one, even if there was considerably more nuance that is perhaps not worth getting into, right now. On the whole, I can certainly understand the Rainlords’ perspective in that conflict.

But with that being said,’ Ericoros went on, ‘the Lord Darksteel here asked about what she is like, not about what mistakes I think she may or may not have made in the past. When it comes down to it, I believe she is the best and most magnanimous of the current four emperors. But due to the other three, she is also constantly being put in impossible situations--situations, need I remind you, where she must take into account the safety of over two billion people who live under her protection.

Garovel held up his skeletal hands defensively. ‘That’s completely fair. I’m not trying to say that she has it easy or that she could just snap her fingers and fix every problem in the world. I’m just trying to have a balanced view of things.

I know that desire well,’ said Ericoros. His skeletal mouth twisted slightly and impossibly, looking a bit like a smile, which was a surprise to Hector. ‘You are trying to maintain neutrality. If anything, that makes me think that you would quite like Sai-hee, should you ever be fortunate enough to meet her.

Garovel chortled. ‘I probably would. But then again, maybe that’s not saying much. I like most people. I’m full of love, me. Too understanding and benevolent for my own good, you know.

Hector resisted the urge to roll his eyes, though he did smile. “Leo mentioned that she saved your hometown. Or that her people did, at least.”

Yes, and that is exactly what I mean when I say that she is the best of the emperors. While her goals may not be so lofty as “saving the world,” she nonetheless does more to protect innocent people than anyone else, in no small part because she fosters that same sense of stewardship and preservation in all of her followers.

No comments:

Post a Comment