Sunday, August 13, 2023

Page 3380

So you don’t think Sermung is like that, then?

I do not,’ said Garovel. ‘But I do think he has a very different view of the world than the rest of us. And I also think he deserves a bit of slack, too, after all he’s done for humanity. It’s easy to forget that he doesn’t ACTUALLY have an obligation to anyone or anything. It’s no individual person’s responsibility to save the entire world, nor should it be. But people constantly act like we deserve his protection and power, like he owes us, when the reality is the opposite. If anything, WE owe HIM. And in times past, people in his position have made that exceedingly clear, demanding tribute as an overlord, for example. The fact that he doesn’t try to pull that stunt makes him saintly enough, as far as I’m concerned.

...Wow,’ said Hector. ‘I knew you liked Sermung, but I didn’t realize quite how much. You’re like a super fan.

Oh, I don’t know about that. I’ve just had this conversation many times before--and often with people who were much more argumentative than you. So I’ve developed strong opinions. Especially lately.

Ah...

I can only imagine how difficult it is to keep a level head when you’re in a position like his. And considering how long he’s been doing it for, I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he’s deciding to not get involved in this war, then he’s probably got a good reason.

Hector hoped he was right, but he didn’t know if he shared the reaper’s point of view, either.

And at the risk of setting Garovel off again, he ended up broaching a similar subject with Grigozo and Ericoros later.

“What is Abolish’s general view of the war?” he asked. “Are they afraid of Sermung stepping in?”

I can only speculate what the higher ups have in mind,’ said Grigozo, ‘but I can say with relative certainty that the prevailing sense of morale has been high. Apart, perhaps, from the conflict in Melmoore. I heard that things were going quite poorly over there. But according to most reports, the men were optimistic about their chances of winning.

Quite the difference from the Magician of Light’s assessment, Hector noted. But then, it only made sense that opposing sides would have opposing views.

As for Sermung himself,’ Grigozo went on, ‘there is always an underlying fear of him in everything that Abolish does. The men rarely speak of it, but it is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment