Sunday, August 6, 2023

Page 3373

“This Senator Garvey sounds like a real piece of work," Prince David was saying. “I never would’ve guessed, judging from how well he presents himself in front of cameras.”

“Yeah,” said the young man on the other side of the table, slumped forward in his chair and nursing an iced coffee against his temple while he rested his eyes. “I’ve had nightmares, you know, where all I hear is his voice, yelling at me from every direction. Oh... man... I feel like it’s going to happen again tonight, too...”

“Hence the coffee in spite of the late hour, hmm?”

“Yeah... I have to be up in a few hours, anyway, so maybe I’m better off just staying awake...”

David frowned at the poor kid. “Perhaps there is something I can do to help.”

The kid didn’t even look up at him. “That’s nice of you to say, but I don’t see how. I’ve just gotta tough it out for a few more... years, probably.” He groaned.

“You could find a different senator to work for.”

“You make it sound so easy. Without someone from the other senator’s team to vouch for me, it’s basically impossible. These jobs are hell, but that’s only because the competition for them is so fierce. Honestly, I’m lucky to be here at all. At least, that’s what they keep telling me...”

“If you could work for someone else, though, who would you pick?”

“...You mean out of anyone?”

“Mmhmm.”

The kid needed a moment to think about that, apparently. His name was Carlito Yavan, and while his current state might have seemed rather pathetic to any onlookers in this downtown bar, this young man right here was actually one of the most talented lobbyists David had ever seen. And not just when the kid was up there on the debate stage of the Congressional Hall, either.

Fortunately for Prince David, nobody else seemed to have noticed yet.

“...Well, I mean, the dream pick would obviously be Senator Jacobson. In five years’ time, he’ll be campaigning for the presidency--and probably winning, too, because both his policies and his team are rock solid. And of course, he’s a great orator, which is a huge leg up over, uh... some of his likely competition. And on top of that, I hear he’s actually a super nice guy, too, which is a bonus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment