Friday, August 4, 2023

Page 3371 -- CCLXXXIV.

He wanted to say something more, maybe try to clarify a point or two, but nothing felt appropriate. Truthfully, everything he’d said was already far more than he’d ever intended. Hell, maybe he should try to take something back, instead.

Bah. No. Backtracking was unbecoming of an emperor, no matter the situation. And he’d said what he meant.

At length, however, Gohvis unwrapped himself from his tail and stood up.

“There is still much I must tell you,” the boy said. “That conversation without Engomat’s presence still needs to happen. But I suppose it can wait. For now, we really should go to the others’ aid before it is too late.”

Dozer blinked at him. It took a moment to fully understand. But even after he did, he decided to remain seated in his chair. “I already told you that I have no intention of involving myself in this war.”

“Unfortunately for you, you are already involved. Sanko is here, waiting to jump in and assist me in killing you, should I have needed it.”

“Mm. Yes, I thought I sensed her presence earlier. It must be hard for her to show even this much restraint. Shall we deal with her together, then? I should quite like to be rid of her once and for all, and with your help, the deed might finally become trivial.”

“No. I have no desire to kill her.”

Dozer nearly sighed again, resorting to a frown, instead. “You are either betraying me or betraying her. Which will it be?”

“A false choice. Think what you want, but I will move in accordance with my own dictations. Not yours or anyone else’s.”

Agh. The brat.

And yet, Dozer also couldn’t help smiling a little. Maybe it wasn’t just a story they’d been telling each other. Maybe the boy really was his son, after all.


Chapter Two Hundred Eighty-Four: ‘Rumblings in the distance...’
Click to display entire chapter at once -- (mobile link)

It had been another long day. Prince David of House Lumenbel was a guest in this country, but it increasingly felt as if that meant very little. The major political players within Intar seemed to view him as nothing more than a nuisance to be pushed off onto their assistants and secretaries. He'd been here for months now, and yet he'd still never gotten the opportunity to sit down and speak with any of the big names for more than five minutes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment