Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Page 3327

Morgunov smacked his lips. “I dunno... that’s a pretty big ask.” It wasn’t, really. At this point, he had no further use for Asad or Qorvass, but they didn’t need to know that.

Plus, he always liked leaving the door open for a senseless murder. Never knew when something like that might come in handy. Hostages? Venting frustration? Silly experiments? There were all sorts of ways to make use of things that had otherwise outlived their usefulness. Who didn’t love a bit of recycling?

“I do not believe it is,” said the sister. “Now that you have met us, you have no need of them any longer.”

Dang it. “You don’t know that,” said Morgunov. “I’ve got all sorts of needs. And besides, the mere fact that you two care about them so much means that they’re useful to me as leverage. So if you want ‘em safe or even free, then maybe we can come to an agreement of some sort. I’m a reasonable fellow, despite what you might’ve heard about me.”

“More lies,” she said. “You only keep your word when it is convenient for you. Your overconfidence in your own power makes you have no qualms about betraying others. Any agreement made with you would have no weight or sense behind it.”

“So harsh. I’ll have you know that I keep my word for plenty of other reasons besides mere convenience. For instance, sometimes it’s just funny. To see the surprised looks on people’s faces, I mean. And heck, other times I keep it because I’m real mad. Tell me, what is convenient about hunting someone to the ends of Eleg for decades? Hmm? The convenient thing to do would be to forgive and forget! But no. If I give my word that I’ll kill someone, then I do it, no matter how long it takes!” He paused. “Unless, maybe, they come up with a really good apology. Then I might change my mind. But that’s not going back on my word! That’s making a new promise!”

“You lie even to yourself,” she said. “Rationalization masked as reason. You cannot tell when others see through you, because you cannot even see through yourself.”

“You’re not very fun to talk to, y’know that?”

“A spoiled child never enjoys being scolded.”

He sniffed. “What about you, Mr. Salad? What say you about striking a deal with me?”

No comments:

Post a Comment