Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Page 3306

<"Indeed. But it sounds like you have some free time on your hands now, eh? Care to pitch in?">

Hector couldn't help exhaling half a laugh. "I don't think I should leave my home country, right now." He could see Garovel's skeletal face next to him, and the visible relief on it was almost enough to pull the rest of that laugh out of Hector.

<"It was worth a shot,"> said Xander.

"If you need something that doesn't involve traveling, I might be able to help," said Hector.

<"I'll keep that in mind, then.">

"Oh, and uh, I found some information on your man, Lozaro."

There arrived a noticeable pause. <"Truly? And so soon? Ah, from either Banda Toro or his reaper, it must be. I see. Which must also mean that you managed to neutralize them without killing them, no?">

Hector wasn't sure he liked how quickly this guy was able to connect dots. He wasn't about to confirm it, though. Even if he liked Xander, there was no point in giving the Vanguard any amount of justification to come here and try to take Grigozo into their custody. "My source will have to remain a secret, unfortunately. For now, at least."

<"I see. Go on, then. What have you learned?">

Garovel had only just delivered the intel to him a few minutes prior, having gotten it from the Sandlords who were still questioning Grigozo. "Supposedly, he's in Ardora. There's a city called Vamor in the country of Targarith."

<"I am familiar with it,"> said Xander. <"Northeast of the vast Gettira Plains, as I recall. I shall head there soon.">

"Are you sure that's wise?" said Hector. "You've got your hands full with the war, don't you? And my information could be wrong, you know."

<"I will have an opening for such a trip shortly. And even if I did not, I would make time for it.">

"From what I've heard, Lozaro is incredibly paranoid and will flee at the first sign of trouble."

<"Oh, I am aware, but thank you for the warning. I'm afraid I must go now. Is there anything else you would tell me before I do?">

Hector sure hoped not, because he couldn't think of anything. "No, that's it."

<"Farewell then, my friend. Thank you for the information, and may fortune favor you in your next battle.">

And the guy hung up without waiting for a reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment