Friday, April 9, 2021

Page 3121

Vino was quiet a moment. His next words came out very softly. "If that's what you want, then I won't be able to stop you. But I'm hoping that you'll keep living for a while longer yet. Because I'm leaving everything to you."

Linus turned to look at him again. "What?"

"In my will, I mean," said Vino. "You're getting everything."

Linus was speechless.

"Do whatever you want with it all. Tear down the Ruby and turn it into a landfill, if that's what'll make you happy."

At that comment, Linus' expression flattened a little. "You know I'd never do something like that."

A wry smile crept across Vino's wrinkled face. "Yeah, I do. That's why I'm leaving it to you. I know you'll take care of everything--or do your best to, at least. And that's all I'm asking for."

Linus just sighed again. The man already sounded so resigned to his fate, as if his own legacy hardly even mattered to him.

Or maybe he was just at peace with everything. Linus found it difficult to tell the difference between surrender and acceptance. One sounded a lot healthier than the other, but was there any actual nuance to speak of? He wasn't sure.

Maybe it didn't matter.

Heh. Maybe nothing did.

Dijara would have some choice words for him if she heard him say that. He wished she was here now, but it felt too late to call her over. He could talk to her later.

Perhaps Linus' silence was beginning to bother Vino, because the other man decided to pick the conversation back up again without waiting for him to respond. "You're not really thinking about dying with me, are you?"

Honestly, he wasn't sure. He just turned away and rubbed his forehead.

"Linus. You still have so much to live for."

The irony of listening to this man say that made Linus want to laugh in Vino's face--and maybe also punch him. He resisted both urges, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment