Monday, January 6, 2020

Page 2008

((The Mon/Wen/Fri Double -- page 2 of 2))
Hmm,’ the reaper hummed. ‘And why is that? My understanding is that it merely functions as a way to achieve exceptionally high velocity states at a lower skill threshold. Like a means of overcoming a mental block, perhaps, by conceptualizing the problem in a different manner.

“Yes… and also no. That may be what the technique is accomplishing, but it shouldn’t be. At least, theoretically. Because the actual orbiting part that I just described… doesn’t use ‘velocity’ states. It only uses ‘position’ states.”

Qorvass just looked at him, perhaps waiting for elaboration.

Asad held the orbiting cubes up again. “Technically, these objects aren’t actually ‘moving’ at all. They just look like they are. And I suppose you might argue that there’s no difference. If they are going from point A to point B, then that is all that matters.” Asad exhaled a long breath. “But it’s not all that matters, at least on a technical level.”

I’m still not sure I follow your logic here…

“It’s more like… looking through a three-dimensional window into an alternate universe.”

The reaper’s head tilted at that. ‘Excuse me?

“These cubes that you see are not moving--not in the same way that a thrown ball moves or a planet orbiting the Sun moves. Rather, they’re more like an image in a window. In some sense, it is the window that is moving, not the object on the other side. And we just can’t tell by simply looking at it, because we ARE the window. This physical reality is the window.”

I’m not sure that’s any easier to understand, Asad.

He sighed another time. “I told you I was still struggling to figure this out, didn’t I?”

You did. But alternate realities? Really?

“I’m not saying that it IS an alternate reality. I’m saying that it may be easier to conceptualize it as such, for the purpose of understanding that these orbiting cubes are not actually moving.”

Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment