Sunday, January 5, 2020

Page 2006

Asad’s tattooed face scrunched up a little as he tried to hold on to his thoughts. “About what?” he asked, not wanting to complain.

The reaper hovered there for a moment, looking at him. ‘Ah… you were doing your thing again, weren’t you?

“My thing?”

Your “not meditation” thing. Whatever you want to call it.

“I believe it is called ‘thinking.’ Perhaps you should try it sometime.”

Ouch. Someone’s grouchy.

He took a breath, knowing Qorvass hadn’t deserved that comment. “I apologize. I didn’t mean that…”

Yes, I should hope not. Would you rather be left alone, right now? I don’t mind leaving. Or telling Haqq to go plow himself. In fact, I would enjoy that.

Asad rubbed his neck and breathed a faint laugh. “No, that is alright. I enjoy your company, Qorvass.”

Oh. And now you’re being nice? I’m getting some mixed signals here.

Asad moved on to rubbing his forehead. “Well, maybe the signals in my head are mixed to begin with.”

Hmm.’ The reaper floated closer. The flaming wings of Qorvass’ scorpionfly form beat rapidly and constantly but still without making any noise, even as he moved. ‘What were you thinking about, then? Maybe talking it through with me will help.

He gave the reaper a look, considering. He supposed it couldn’t hurt. “Do you remember that orbital materialization technique that Hector Goffe came up with in Babbadelo?”

Um. Yes. THAT’S what you were thinking about?

He decided to ignore that question. “Did you think anything was strange about it?”

Ah. Sure. I thought it was strange that such a young servant could come up with something like that.

“Anything else?”

The reaper hesitated. ‘Are we turning this into a game? I would prefer you just tell me what you are getting at. Is there something YOU found particularly strange about it?

Asad decided to oblige. “I think it might be impossible.”

No comments:

Post a Comment