Thursday, July 25, 2013

Page 151

And honestly,’ Garovel went on, ‘I don’t think all the members of Abolish actually believe it, either. I think some of them just relish the opportunity for destruction. Which, y’know, I can almost understand. Destroying things is fun. But not when it causes wanton misery and death.

That kinda sounds like... someone we already know...

You noticed that, too, huh? I’ve been wondering if Geoffrey is somehow tied to Abolish, as well. But if he was, you’d think that he would’ve already known what reapers are before he met us.

Maybe he was lying.

Eh, that’s a strange thing to lie about. And I’m not sure Geoffrey even knows how to lie. He was more than happy to talk about his murders.

Ah... so then, what about this, uh... Vanguard group? They’re trying to protect the world?

Yeah. You have to understand, though, that both groups can be broken down into tons of smaller factions, each with slightly different goals or variations on the beliefs of the whole. While we might be able to find allies in the Vanguard, we can’t count on them to always be friendly. I remember a few reapers there that we really don’t wanna be around.

Wait. Are you a member of the Vanguard?

I used to be. My last servant and I worked with them for a long time, so I know a lot of reapers there.

Hector’s brow perked up. ‘Your last servant... what happened to him? Or... her?

We’d been together for a while, and he’d grown tired of it all. He decided that he was ready to die, so he asked me to release him. And I did.

What was he like?

Some other time. Right now, you need to know the big names--the most powerful servants in the world, that is. The names that everyone knows not to fuck with, including us.

Ah, uh--okay...

4 comments:

  1. hi, thanks for a new chapter

    knows not fuck with
    knows not to fuck with

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did NOT expect Garovel to have had a previous servant. Though I guess it's to be expected considering his personality and the fact he's "thousands of years old". He would have gone on a "saving spree" sooner or later.

    And after the explanation of Abolish, Vanguard seems kinda dull in comparison. I'm hoping that was done on purpose and we'll get surprised soon enough

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't think he knows how to lie"
    Officially placing my "This is how far I've read" guess that Geoffrey is a Fey, an Elf, a Faerie of some kind. Truth telling, changeling, never human. Strange abilities, parly physical, partly mental. Sure, it might have a different origin in this world... A Reaper that found a way to enter a human baby, something like that... but it's my theory.

    ReplyDelete