Thursday, July 4, 2013

Page 123

--donation bonus (day #5, post 5/5)--
Perhaps,’ said Helen. ‘But the tradition of primogeniture is not so easily ignored.

Well, yeah. I doubt your father intended for the succession to get you murdered.

Given my circumstances, it now seems more likely that my father appointed me not because he believed I would do well, but because he believed others would do evil.

Hmm.

The most irritating part of it all is that I saw the assassination coming in time, and yet I could not save myself. Suddenly, my most trusted subordinates were nowhere to be found. I died, because I misjudged the true characters of my friends.

Ah. Hence, your determination not to make that mistake twice.

Yes...

-+-+-+-+-

Sitting in his room, Hector scratched his head as he struggled over his algebra homework. Garovel floated next to him, reading the newspaper sprawled across his desk.

The rest of the school day had gone rather strangely. His new group of lunch friends had been extremely apologetic, even though he couldn’t imagine what they had to feel sorry for. They ended up discussing television and pudding, afterwards, though Hector mostly just listened.

Carpentry club had been the real surprise, however. Word had gotten around of Hector’s tumble down a flight of stairs, and when he had hobbled into the clubroom, thinking he would get a bit more work done on his helm, he had been assailed with a slew of inquiries and concerns about his health from everyone in the club. People who had ignored him for the past year were suddenly talking to him again. He handled the situation the best way he knew how. By running away. Or waddling briskly away, at least.

16 comments:

  1. Poor Hector...
    Interesting that since he died he now truly has a life, and all the perks therein he cannot enjoy because his mind won't let him IE., friends, family caring about him, people worrying about him etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family is still rather in question, but yes. He has a rough time of it.

      Delete
  2. Also, that wraps up the last of the donation bonuses. I'm all caught up now, and I hope everyone enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, it *was* that attempt that got her. I suspect this reaper revived her not to get her service, but simply to prevent what would have happened if she'd died. Necessity to suppress chaos and/or an unfit ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but wonder how much there really is to say about pudding. How many minutes did they manage to kill by discussing the pros and cons of pudding. More importantly, did they reference Bill Cosby at all? These are the questions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha.

    Welcome to the story, by the way, and thank you for all the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The people on the comments are part of what I find unique and excellent about this story format. I'm not a commenter by nature, something about this sight just brought it out. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, I've been wondering, what country does this story take place in? A few of the places you mentioned sound fictional. Is this the case?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lmao it's funny that Hector can't even deal with positive attention

    ReplyDelete
  9. waddling briskly- such dignity and poise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "...then he saddled away, pompompompompompom" now I have that song stuck in my head -__-

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's pretty realistic tbh. I know I can't either :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have a hard time with attention. Even the positive sort. Now, I'm equally comfortable being the center of attention (positive or negative) or being on the outside looking in. I really can't explain it

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's on another planet😱

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have discussed a lot of awkward matters with my friends before in almost 20 minutes...

    ReplyDelete