Thursday, July 11, 2013

Page 130

“Oh, I’m no one important,” the man said. “But I’ve been waiting here because I’ve heard you’re the guy to ask about getting certain jobs done.”

Swank could not imagine a more annoying answer. Still, he restrained himself with another mouthful of vodka and said, “That so?”

“I hear your boss is a man with discreet interests.”

Swank rolled his eyes. “I guess you haven’t heard that he’s also dead now.”

For some reason, the man took that as an invitation to sit down. “I’m sorry to hear that. Does that mean you’re in charge now?”

“No.”

“So you have a new boss, then. Perhaps I can meet him, instead.”

He held back a laugh. “Trust me, guy. You don’t wanna meet my new boss.”

“Oh, but I do. The sooner the better, in fact.”

Swank eyed the man. Something about the guy’s face annoyed him, really clean-shaven with a chiseled jawline and a condescending look in his eyes. Swank took a longer swig. “On second thought, I’d like to see that, too.”

-+-+-+-+-

Geoffrey tilted his head as he laid eyes on the lone pancake house. He hadn’t been sure what to expect. Having to leave Brighton for some little town called Chesterville was strange enough to pique his interest on its own, but when he had also seen that the invitation was from the CEO of Boulder Inc., Geoffrey had been positively brimming with curiosity. Alone under a luminous moon, he entered.

Five people sat around a pair of joined tables. They all turned to look at him--as did the five accompanying reapers.

Geoffrey gave an open-mouthed smile as he looked over everyone.

9 comments:

  1. Chiseled jawline? Condescending smile?
    That guy's a prince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha. Hmm.

      Nice to see you again by the way.

      Delete
    2. Hah thanks man. I was never gone really, been reading daily since may. You go and carry on with your ass kickin now.

      Delete
  2. This may be just me but I am slightly confused, are the the guys in the pancake house the same ones the guy who talked to swank wanted Geoffrey to meet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. The guy who met Swank wanted to meet Geoffrey, not introduce Geoffrey to new people.

      Delete
  3. You know, I never thought the name Geoffrey could become associated with Nightmare Fuel. Nice job enlightening me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wham Episode. TvTropes. It'll ruin your life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five. Reaper. Allies. Hector is in deeeeeep shit.

    ReplyDelete