Thursday, January 25, 2024

Page 3499

A string of explosions sputtered across the battlefield in the distance. Diego’s handiwork, perhaps?

Maybe not. Zeff was probably being too hopeful. Such an impressive attack might’ve been too much for the young “Red Hunter” to pull off, still. He’d heard that Diego had achieved emergence at Logden, but he’d yet to see him in action since then.

“I see that you are still a fan of venturing off on your own to brood,” came a voice from behind him.

He just kept leaning on the metal wall that one of the other servants had materialized around their encampment. He didn’t need to turn around to know that it was Octavia Redwater approaching. He wanted to respond, but a fitting retort wasn’t coming to mind. Except, perhaps, one that would be needlessly rude.

And that was the last thing he wanted to be to someone whom he owed so much.

“You’re not so different, after all, I think.” Her tone had an old and familiar softness to it. Enough so that it briefly transported him back to his teenage years.

And despite his mood, he couldn’t help smiling just a bit. “God, it’s good to have you back, Octavia.”

“Hoho! Thank you. You’re more affectionate than I remember, though.” She leaned over next to him and bumped into him purposely.

“Heh. Maybe I’ve finally learned to cherish what I have while I still have it.”

“Doubt it.”

He snorted. “Have the others been saying that I’ve changed?”

“Oh, I don’t know. I’m not one for gossip.”

“You are one for lying, though, apparently.”

“How hurtful.” She allowed a beat to pass. “Okay, fine, maybe I’ve been listening to a few rumors. But I had to! So much to catch up on, you know!”

“I do know, indeed. You’ve been sorely missed.”

“Aww.” She bumped him again. “From the sound of things, you’re really coming into your own as the Water Dragon of Sair.”

Now that, he did not believe at all, and he couldn’t stop himself from scoffing.

“What’s that sound for?”

“I’ve done nothing but fail ever since...” He shook his head and blinked slowly, trying recall. “Lakefire, I’m not even sure how long it’s been, anymore.”

“Ah. The brooding, then. I see.”

He could already tell what she was getting at. And she wasn’t wrong, he knew. “I’m sorry. I should be happier with our great victory.”

1 comment: