Friday, January 12, 2024

Page 3489

I have no desire to curry favor with a building,’ said the Weaver.

“Why not? What do you have against buildings?”

Enough silliness. If you are so determined to befriend the Library, then you will find no help from me.

“Really? Not even a little bit?”

I do not know anything that would be of use to you.

“Are you sure? What if you just don’t know that you know? They call those kinds of things unknown unknowns. Y’know?”

If that is so, then I would still have no way of detecting and then imparting said knowledge to you.

“Unless I ask you the right questions! Triggering your deeply rooted, ancient wisdom!”

I’m not THAT old, I’ll have you know.

“And yet you’re still so full of ancient wisdom! It’s all the more impressive when you look at it like that!”

Flattery is pointless and beneath you.

“It’s not flattery if I’m just speaking the truth, is it?”

Yes, it still is. The intent is what matters.

“Huh. Well, my intentions are entirely pure, so I’m pretty sure that I’m covered there, too.” And before she could give another sidetracking retort, he decided to push the conversation forward. “Anyway! Question time! It’ll be a fun game! You like games, don’t you? I sure do!”

Is that the first question? Because yes, I do happen to enjoy a good game, now and again.

“Perfect! What a great start!”

Go on, then. See if you can uncover something within my mind that even I have forgotten about.

“Okay! Hmm! Let’s see here... Now what would be a good subject to begin with...?”

You have no idea? After all that bluster, I thought you had some sort of plan, but you really are just winging it, aren’t you?

“Oh, I know! The first time you arrived at the Library! How’d you come to be here, exactly?”

Is this game just an excuse to ask me personal questions?

“No! Of course not! Maybe a little!”

That earned a silent titter from her. ‘I was brought here by the Master, of course. He wanted to provide a place for me to rest and recover after... a particularly trying ordeal.

“Oh? Mysterious. What was the nature of this ordeal, hmm?”

Let’s keep these questions relevant to the Library itself, shall we?

“Aww. But okay. In that case, how long ago was it that you arrived here?”

Decades, as I already said.

“Yeah, but how many decades, exactly?”

Many.

“So like seven?”

I’m not that old!

“Alright, but then stop saying things that make me think you are!”

Look, the truth is, I do not quite recall how long it has been. Time... is a rather loose concept for me. I do not feel its passing as I once did.

“...Sounds like something a really old person would say.”

Oh, shut up!

No comments:

Post a Comment