Thursday, January 4, 2024

Page 3483

You are a curious creature, aren’t you?’ she’d said.

“Is that a compliment? Because it sounds like a compliment! If so, then thank you!”

It is, yes. But you know what they say about curiosity, don’t you?

“That it’s the foundation for all human advancement?”

At that, the Weaver tittered. ‘Why are you aberrations all so amusing? Is it somehow baked into your very nature?

“Ooh, so you’ve met other aberrations, huh?”

Indeed. Though, typically, I look upon them from afar. Meetings are not my strong suit, after all.

“Well, I’m glad you’re making an exception for me, then. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Weaver.”

The pleasure is mine. I must say, however, that you are far more polite and personable than most aberrations. In fact, now that I am thinking more deeply about it, I find it quite strange how you are not entirely bored out of your skull while stuck within the confines of the Library.

“Why would I be bored? There’s so much to do here! So much to learn!”

Is that so? I was under the impression that aberration did not find reading to be very fun. And fun is the only thing that you care about, is it not?

Ibai scratched his chin. “Well, I wouldn’t say the only thing, but... yeah, maybe, sorta. Fun is what makes life worth living, isn’t it?”

Now there is a question for the ages. I do not know if I can agree, however. I think there must surely be more meaning in life than indulging in pleasurable activity.

“Oh, of course, of course! But the ‘meaning’ of life is a slightly different matter, I’d say.”

Would you? I would not. On the subject of what makes life “worth living,” I would say that “meaning” is what matters most of all. If your life consists of nothing but meaningless amusements, then would that not begin to ring hollow after a while? Would you not be deprived of a greater, deeper sense of fulfillment?

Ibai crossed his arms and smiled, having to chew on that a little. He decided to take a seat on the cold floor, as well. It was a bit wet and sticky, but he didn’t mind. “Those are all fair points,” he said. “But I’d also argue that without fun, life would surely become a slog. A rote, tiresome experience devoid of any spark or magic. Moreover, I think that it’s wrong to reduce fun down to this idea of ‘pleasurable activity.’ Because fun is also dependent on one’s mindset, no? What I find fun might be quite different from what you find fun, eh?”

No comments:

Post a Comment