Thursday, January 11, 2024

Page 3488

“Am I?” said Ibai. “I apologize. Much like you should!”

You are getting sidetracked. Weren’t you saying that you had something important to do?

“I did say that, yes! You’re a good listener!”

I presume it has to do with the Elroy girl’s current circumstances.

“You’re good at presuming, too!”

You think the Library can help her?

“That’s the hope. Dunno how plausible it is, though.”

Not at all, I’d wager.

“Hmm? You just said it was possible, though, didn’t you?”

No. Winning its favor may be possible. Unlikely, perhaps, but possible. But acquiring its help for the girl? That is a different matter, unfortunately. ‘Tis is a fool’s errand, I’m afraid.

“Dang. Why you gotta be such a downer about it, though?”

You told me of her current state before, remember? If the Master was truly the one to put her into that trance, then the Library will not help. He is its Keeper, and it will not go against him.

“Yeah, but what if I ask it really nicely?”

Your jests belie your desperation. And while I sympathize with your plight, I think you would be better off not wasting your time on it. The Master has obviously taken an interest in her and will therefore not abandon her. Sooner or later, he will return and revive her, and given that she is undead, it does not matter how delayed his return might be. She will be fine, regardless.

“All fair points,” said Ibai. “But I also can’t help thinking that maybe you’re overestimating how much the Library cares about Gohvis’ opinion. Didn’t you just get done saying how capricious it is? Even if he is its Keeper, does that really matter?”

I have never once seen it move against him.

“Well, there’s a first time for everything. Plus, it wouldn’t even be going against him by aiding me. That’s a false dichotomy! It’s not like we’re sworn enemies or anything! I think Gohvis is a swell guy! Reads my books, you know! Very thoughtful, him!”

Uh-huh... Nothing I say will convince you to give up, will it?

“Prolly not. I like to think I’m open to having my mind changed, but sometimes, you’ve just gotta stand firm, don’t you think?”

Clearly, what I think doesn’t matter.

“Aw, don’t be like that! Hey, what say I put in a good word for you once I’ve won the Library over, eh? Maybe help repair some of the bad blood between the two of you? Because there’s bad blood, right? I’m definitely sensing some bad blood.”

No comments:

Post a Comment