Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Page 3487

“Hmmmmm.” Ibai had to mull that notion over. “Well, now I’m torn, because that sounds like a fun puzzle to solve. Going against the Library? Unlocking its secrets despite its best efforts hide them? What a great game!” He bobbed his head to one side. “But on the other hand, might it actually be more fun to try and earn the Library’s trust? I mean, I’ve been working that angle for a while already, so it would probably be faster to simply continue on like so, eh?”

Not merely faster, but also possible. As I said, if it doesn’t want you to find something, then you have no hope of finding it. The Library will forever conceal it from you.

“Oh, quit that! Don’t try and tempt me now! It won’t work!”

I am not trying to tempt you. I am merely warning that--

“It won’t work, I said!” And he broke for a short laugh. “If this were just matter of my own academic interest and desire to have a boatload of fun, then sure, you’d have tricked me down that first path like the super smart squid lady that you are--and I’d have been pleased as punch about it, too! But unfortunately, there’s more at stake here than just that. Can’t justify taking that kind of risk.”

Again, I was not trying to trick you--

“My heart shan’t waver! Don’t worry about it! Though I may long for a puzzle to solve, I must stay the clearer course!”

Alright, whatever.

“Might you have any tips about how to get on the Library’s good side?”

None whatsoever.

“Aww, shucks, really?”

The Library is a capricious, ravenous, amoral monstrosity. I do not think it has the capacity to trust or love you or anyone else, even in the most minor of ways.

Ibai pressed his lips together flatly. “Pretty harsh, bro.”

Do not call me that.

“Sis?”

Nor that.

“Sibling? Oh, or?! Squidbling?!”

Ugh, what the--?

“Look, you can’t be sayin’ stuff like that about the Library and still expect it to fall in love with you. I’m sure it can hear you. And words hurt, you know.”

What nonsense are you talking now?

“In fact, you should probably apologize.”

For what? I merely spoke the truth.

“Mmmmm, I dunno...”

Of course you do not know. You know nothing of this place, while I have been here for decades.

“Okay, but even if what you said was true--or partially true, maybe--I’m sure there was still a nicer way you could have phrased it, right?”

You are beginning to annoy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment