Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Page 2516

((The Mon/Wen/Fri Double -- page 1 of 2))
David still wasn't done, though. "And then, not three days ago, I discover that there has been yet another wrench thrown my way in the form of one Lord Darksteel of Warrenhold receiving international acclaim from the Lorentian government."

Hector scratched his cheek. "Ah..."

"You were aware that Intar had previously sent multiple warriors to deal with this monster problem, yes?" said the Prince.

"Er. Yes..."

"Mmhmm. And so, of course, the fact that you have succeeded where they failed has brought you to the attention of Intar."

Yeah, Hector had been a little worried about that possibility. Prince David's mildly exasperated tone almost made Hector want to apologize, but he refrained, because he didn't really see how he could have handled the situation differently. Innocent lives had been at stake, and he'd come here with the Queen's approval, so...

David's frustrated expression melted into a smile as quickly as it had appeared, though. "Intar has sweetened their offer of annexation by a substantial amount."

Hector blinked. "They have? I, uh... I kinda thought they would lose interest, what with the war going on."

"That is what I thought as well," said David. "Especially because my sister's bargaining power has only continued to increase, thanks to your exploits. But apparently, they are not deterred by the rising costs. If anything, they seem more eager than ever."

"Why?"

"Why, indeed. Only Intar knows what Intar is thinking--and at the moment, even that is debatable." The Prince broke for a weary laugh. "But I must say, it does worry me. Perhaps they are thinking that they would like to bring the this new Lord of Warrenhold under their command."

Hector exchanged glances with Garovel, who was still just listening quietly. "...I doubt that's the reason," he said. "Or if it is, then it's probably not the only one. Intar has plenty of servants already at its disposal. And from what I've heard, Intar has a great relationship with the Vanguard, too, so I can't really imagine that they would have that much use for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment