Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Page 3674

“I’ve always found it curious,” said David. “With how much land Intar has at its disposal, one would think the greater imperative would be to build outward, not upward.”

“Intarians have always had a fascination with the sky,” said Victor. “Even back in the days of the Mohssian Empire, the people here were always building monuments as tall as humanly possible.”

“Ah, yes, I believe I’ve heard a little of that. Wasn’t there a formalized competition at one point?”

The kid nodded. “There was. Emperor Armadus III instituted it as a yearly tradition, and an entire festival grew around it. Then eventually, it became a minor holiday.”

“Cloudseeker Day,” said David.

“Oh, you know of it. I haven’t met many foreigners who did.”

“I lived here for a few years when I was younger,” said the Prince with a small smile. “But that still doesn’t sate my curiosity about the Intarian obsession with building upwards. Where does the interest in the sky originate? It’s an interesting element of your culture.”

“Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah. I’ve always heard that the origins of our interest were a bit muddy. Some say one thing, others say something different.”

“I’ve heard that as well,” said David. “The most common theory seemed to involve religion. Cocora, specifically. The ancient Mohssians wanted to be closer to the Goddess of Light, so they reached for the Sun.”

“That’s the theory I like best,” said Victor. “There’s something romantic about it.”

“Heh. I can only agree.”

A lull in the conversation arrived, and David struggled for the next topic. Perhaps it was a bit early to be pushing for more detailed information, but he supposed there was no harm in asking the boy to talk. The lad could just say no, and that would be fine. There was no urgency here.

Not yet, at least.

“...Do you want to talk about Charlie?” said David.

Victor hesitated.

The Prince felt the need to clarify. “It is perfectly okay if you do not. I am merely offering an attentive ear, if you want one.”

Still, Victor remained quiet. Perhaps even he himself wasn’t sure what he wanted, right now.

Hmm. David thought for a moment. “...Well, perhaps I could talk about him, then. What little I was able to learn, at least. Would that be alright with you?”

The kid took a second, but he nodded.

“He seemed quite the energetic fellow. I only spoke with him, maybe... four times, but on each occasion, he certainly never had any trouble speaking his mind. I quite liked that about him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment