Monday, May 20, 2013

Page 53

He wanted to try again, but there wouldn’t be enough time before he had to leave for school. Instead, he stood and went for his bag. He pulled out the welding mask.

I guess that’s yours now, unless you’ve thought of a way to explain that bullet hole.

He rolled the mask over in his hands. “This... isn’t...”

Hmm?

“I need more than... just a mask... don’t I?”

What do you mean?

“My brain is my weak point,” he said. “I need something strong... something that will actually protect my head...”

Ah! That would be fantastic. But what, exactly? And not to sound pessimistic, but I don’t see how you could get your hands on anything that strong. Your metal might serve one day, but not anytime soon.

“I have to rejoin the carpentry club.”

Garovel’s brow receded. ‘You’re just full of ideas today, aren’t you? It’s starting to annoy me.

“I’m sorry... I’ll be sure to act stupider from now on.”

Most of the elements in the periodic table are metals, you know.

“That’s very interesting, Garovel.”

You piece of shit,’ he laughed. ‘I have thousands of years of knowledge and experience.

“I’m sure that’ll come in handy one day.”

I hope you start shitting metal turds.

“That... th-that’s not really gonna happen, right...?”

Beats me. I don’t know anything useful.

He readied himself for school. He was a bit dubious about bringing the mask with him, wondering what might happen if someone caught him with it, but he decided to take the risk. In the event of some emergency, he would be glad to have it.

To Hector's surprise, Garovel accompanied him.

15 comments:

  1. This sequence is interesting. Their brief flare up of an argument hit me like a slap to the face. They normally get along pretty well. They must be even more shaken up than I thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it just a proof that they ARE getting along ? Getting comfortable with each other ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Garovel is a sarcastic little shit. And by little, I totally mean an ageless ferryman of souls. Basically, I love him. And Hector. Hector's cool. By the way, I get that he can CREATE metal, but can he exert any other amount of control over it? Like, moving it telekinetically?

    ReplyDelete
  4. An argument? Where do you see that? That was two friends joking on each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can watch their tennis match for hours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not telekinetically, but it does develop in a variety of ways. It's gradually explained as the text goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I might interject, just because I love dissecting this sort of thing? Someone who can create matter probably isn't actually creating matter. (I know, magic, but hear me out). A far simpler, less 'he's a deity', option is that they manipulate matter on a subatomic level and change it. But even if that's not the case, the process of creating matter is energy. I imagine that if he focused on creating a small metal spike he could make one eventually. I imagine if he focused on creating a small metal spike with a certain amount of kinetic energy propelling it where he points, then at its inception it could be hurtled forward with that amount of energy. Largely because the act of creating and forming the matter requires energy, and energy manipulation to a certain degree.

    You've just clarified that he can't affect the object beyond his... reach perhaps? Perhaps he can break it down again? I haven't read past this page yet. But at any rate, that would mean, while very limited, he could have telekinesis. Like uhh.. Crap, there was this one comic book character who could flick things at the speeds of bullets but couldn't affect them otherwise...

    Anyway, I understand that magic in your world has its own rules, and the truth is he might not be creating or rearranging matter but simply summoning it, which means the above is less likely. But all the same, I thought that'd be interesting to say cause... uh... I found this 2 hours ago right before I went to bed, so instead of going to bed I decided to keep reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. U mad Garovel :D ???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garovel is surprisingly childish lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mahdi AparentylycntsayawsomApril 21, 2015 at 2:17 AM

    Plumber: Again?! I just fixed the school's pipes the other day!
    Who the heck keeps dumping all this metal down here?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ping...pong....ping....pong...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poulos maximus the greatJuly 1, 2015 at 8:42 AM

    Thx a lot your joke just me to laugh myself to death. But seriously lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mahdi AparentylycntsayawsomJuly 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM

    Prolly because after living that long
    acting childish has got to be the most fun

    ReplyDelete