Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Page 3544

“That tracks with what I saw of him,” said Hector. “The way he talked to Rathmore was like...” And he paused, suddenly realizing what words were about to come out of his mouth and thinking twice about it.

Hmm? Like what?

Hector remained quiet for a few moments longer as he thought back.

As he relived something that he didn’t want to.

“...The way Nykeir was acting reminded me of Geoffrey Rofal,” he finally said.

Garovel said nothing, perhaps expecting Hector to elaborate.

Hector decided to do so, realizing something else as well. “I guess... you weren’t actually there for that part, were you?”

What part?

“At the end. My final encounter with him. He was different than before.”

You told me about it. I remember.

Hmm? Oh, Garovel was talking about his father. How Geoffrey had stolen the man’s body. Taunted him while wearing his father’s face. Hector had of course told Garovel about that.

But that wasn’t what he was talking about here. “No, it wasn’t just... that. There was something else different.”

What do you mean?

“Geoffrey's behavior. It was like... he wasn’t just crazy, anymore. He was obsessed. With me. And the way Nykeir was talking to Rathmore... felt very similar.”

Ah. I see.’ The reaper paused, hovering nearer the Gate. ‘I know exactly what you’re talking about. I may not have been present for either of the situations you’re describing, but I’ve seen it many times before. That type of... truly malevolent, psychopathic obsession. And as a matter of fact, that’s what happened to Rathmore in the end, too.

Hector blinked. “He...? He turned out like Nykeir?”

Well, without having actually witnessed what you did, I can’t say for sure that they were the same, but from the sound of it, ah... yes.

“But Rathmore seemed pretty reasonable in the memories. I mean... mostly.”

Oh yeah. For a while there, he was a great man. Noble of mind and heart. Level-headed and intelligent. Someone to look up to.

“So what changed?”

Lots of things. It was a slow process over many years, as it often is. But... it was terrible to watch unfold. And terrible to remember, still.’ The reaper shook his skull solemnly. ‘Not being as experienced in these things back then, I was in denial about it for much longer than I should have been. And his reaper--she was even worse than I was. Absolutely refused to see the truth of things, long after it should have been obvious.

“...What finally convinced you that he was too far gone?”

No comments:

Post a Comment