Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Page 3366

Interesting. The fact that Gohvis chose to reveal all of this instead of silently attacking him was curious. Surely, there were other things he could have said if it was only a matter of keeping him preoccupied. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Because as I said, I am wondering if we might not still be able to find common ground again.”

“You are not entirely certain you wish to betray me yet, is that it?”

“In essence. You are my father, after all.”

“How tenderhearted of you.”

“Mock me all you like. Even if you somehow overpower me and go to the aid of the others, today will not be a good day for Abolish. Unless, perhaps, you can convince me to remain by your side and help.”

Ridiculous. But he supposed this conversation was a long time coming, one way or another. They’d both avoided it in so many different small ways.

And he could see the lad’s stratagem here. Gohvis had waited until the stakes were high enough such that Dozer could not merely brush him off or deflect--or otherwise try to delay this talk until another occasion.

Either it happened now, or it didn’t happen at all.

That still did not explain, however, why the lad had been so intent on not wanting Engomat to hear this conversation. That part remained highly suspect. If Gohvis had any sense, he would at least not want to fight him at full power. Or perhaps he thought he could simply kill Engomat the instant they separated.

Regardless, Dozer did have to admit that Gohvis had a fair bit of leverage here. The lad’s assessment of the situation was not without its merit. A major counterstroke from the Vanguard had been likely to occur for a while now, so if today was indeed the day, then it was no great surprise.

But it was, also, not necessarily Dozer’s problem.

“You know I have no plans to further involve myself in Morgunov’s little war,” he said. “Keeping me busy would not be necessary. I would not have gone to anyone’s aid in the first place.”

“Mm. I told the Vanguard as much, myself. They seemed not to believe me. Which was understandable, I suppose. Trusting my word in these circumstannces would have been of great risk to them, with comparatively little benefit.”

Indeed, his son did understand. No matter how great this offensive from the Vanguard turned out to be, it could ultimately be considered just another test for the men.

As ever, the worthy would endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment