Monday, July 17, 2023

Page 3363

“I have only moved to protect what was mine,” said Gohvis. “That is not the same as moving against you.”

“Splitting hairs won’t help your case here,” said Dozer. “Taking responsibility for your actions might.”

The giant reptile shook his head. “Regardless, this is important, Father. I do not ask this of you lightly. I know how difficult it is for you to extend even a modicum of trust my way, at the moment, but in this matter, I must insist. Engomat cannot be privy to this information, at least until you’ve heard and processed it yourself. If you decide afterward that you wish to tell him everything I said, then that is fine. But you will need the option.”

“...Why?” said Dozer. “What possible reason could there be for that?”

“I am sorry, but if I explained any further while he can hear, it will likely defeat the purpose of secrecy.”

It was Dozer’s turn to shake his head. “That is not good enough, son. You ask too much and offer too little.”

Gohvis gave a heavy sigh, and for the first time, turned away from Dozer, pacing toward the far side of the room. He was so tall that his head nearly scraped one of the small, metal lamp fixtures that hung from the ceiling.

“To my mind, there are only two reasons you would ask such a thing of me,” said Dozer. “The first is that you are simply lying and trying to make it easier to kill me. Which, amusingly, would not work even if I agreed to your terms, but seeing as you are clearly confident in your own ability, you must disagree with that assessment. Meaning that this explanation is indeed quite likely.”

Dozer left space for Gohvis to respond, but the enormous dragon man said nothing, not even turning around to face him again.

“The second explanation,” Dozer went on, “is that, somehow, you are being earnest, and you instead fear that if Engomat hears and understands whatever it is that you wish to say, he will then take some immediate, unpreventable, and irreversible action. Such as releasing my soul, perhaps? But what information would prompt him to do such a thing? And you must surely realize that while in a hyper-state, I am the one in foremost control. Have you forgotten that? Or is there some other action from him that you fear? If so, then I am having trouble imagining what it might be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment