Saturday, December 14, 2019

Page 1963

That response only made Parson more curious. "Why would a new location have an impact on your power?"

Germal's smile slackened somewhat. "That is a tough question. Even after all these years, I'm still not sure I fully understand it, myself. But I have always... resonated with the land, so to speak."

Damian cocked an eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

Germal set his cards down. "Well, in the beginning, it meant that I was utterly miserable all the time. Much of that was because I simply could not control my mutations and had all but destroyed my own body, but even after getting a much better handle on my ability, I discovered that there was more to it than mere physical pain. There was something psychological beneath it. Spiritual, even."

Parson and Damian exchanged glances as they continued to listen.

"The land breathes," said Germal. "Wherever you go, you'll find something distinct. Even in places still untouched by humans. But there are some places where... I am not sure how to explain it, exactly, but... there are some places where I feel such a strong resonance that it affects me physically."

"Hmm." Parson set his cards down, too, and leaned forward to place his elbows on the table. "And you have no idea what causes this 'uncommonly strong resonance' of yours?"

"I didn't say that," said Germal. "I believe I have some notion of what might be behind it."

"Well, don't keep us waiting in suspense," said Damian.

"Ancient monuments, of a particular sort," said Germal. "Statues or monoliths that, for whatever reason, have a power to them--a power which has seeped into the land over time, altering its breath. Its resonance."

Parson had always known that Germal's power was odd, but hearing all this now was still fairly surprising to him, and he wasn't sure what to think.

"You tellin' me you're some kinda ultra-tree-hugger?" said Damian.

Germal snorted a laugh. "Of a sort, perhaps."

No comments:

Post a Comment