Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Page 1918

"Your Highness," Hector said with an uncertain bow. "How are you feeling?"

The King smiled at him. "Quite well, thank you. And are you in good health, my young friend?"

"Ah--yeah. I'm--er--thank you." Crap, why was he getting nervous again? Sure, he didn't know all that much about King William compared to the Queen, but they were just exchanging pleasantries here. Why was that beginning to feel more stressful than talking business with a bunch nobles he'd never met?

"You certainly look well," said William. "Unlike the poor Lt. General over there."

They both glanced at Harper, who was unconscious again. Perhaps Darsihm had knocked him out to prevent him from drinking more.

That made Hector curious, though. "Have you been getting to know him?"

"I have. And I must say, I find his company quite enjoyable when he is sober."

Hector bobbed his head. "I found it quite enjoyable when he was drunk, too."

The King chortled. "At first, I was worried that such inebriation would hinder his ability to protect my wife, but he was happy to demonstrate for me earlier this evening that he could turn it on and off as easily as flipping a switch."

Hector wondered if the King knew about the longer term ramifications of 'turning it off,' but he supposed it didn't matter that much.

"You servants are very curious," said William. "The term 'servant' hardly even seems appropriate, given all of which you are capable."

Hector could only bob his head again. He was pretty sure that the man already knew all about reapers as well, so he didn't try to clarify that point.

"But I digress," said the King. "There was a matter that I have been wishing to discuss with you. Perhaps we could talk in private?"

Hector was a bit surprised to hear that, honestly, considering he'd already had a serious conversation with the Queen earlier this evening, but he certainly wasn't about to turn the man down, either. "Ah--sure. Lead the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment