Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Page 1876

((Triple Wednesday -- Page 2 of 3))
Hector hesitated, but Lynn was looking at him expectantly. Well, shit. He wasn’t about to refuse her, but he still had to ask, “...What is that, exactly?”

“Calamari and squash,” she told him, pushing the plate even closer now. “Try some.”

He was not pleased to know that his guess had been correct, but he supposed it didn’t matter now. He cut off a piece with his fork. It gooped together quite easily. And he shoveled it into his mouth.

“Oh,” he said as the taste hit his tongue and his face tried to scrunch into itself. “Oh, that’s awful.”

“I know, right?” said Lynn, laughing. “I made a huge mistake ordering it.”

He placed his fist in front of his mouth as he tried to muscle the food down. There was something especially horrible about the sauce. It was sweet in the most unfitting way he could imagine.

He got it down, though, and couldn’t help coughing a little afterwards.

“Want some more?” she asked. “I’ve got plenty left.”

“...You’re a bad person,” said Hector.

She laughed. “I’m sorry. But I need help finishing this. I don’t think I can get through it on my own.”

“I don’t think you have to finish it.”

“My mother would disagree with you.”

Hector recalled Isabelle Edith and had no trouble believing that. “Well, I won’t tell her if you don’t.”

Lynn just smiled faintly again before reassessing her meal. She took another bite. Her face remained perfectly undisturbed as she chewed.

“...You’re good at hiding your disgust,” Hector observed.

“It’s a matter of professionalism,” she said. Then she pushed the plate closer to him again. “Now have some more before I vomit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment