Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Page 1462

Kind words, thank you,’ said Garovel. ‘But I would still prefer you to exercise more caution in the future. Even if it is rather durable on its own, your core is still your greatest vulnerability. And let me assure you, there are plenty of surface-dwellers who are most definitely NOT deserving of your trust.

Torveis laughed lightly. “My brethren have often berated me for my carelessness as well, but I shall try to take your words into consideration.”

Hector had a question now. “What is that thing, exactly? Y-your core, I mean. Like, what’s it made out of?”

Rock and ardor, no?’ said Garovel.

“That is correct,” said Torveis. “It is said that Avar himself bestowed it upon us, giving birth to the first of our people.”

“Avar?” said Hector. “Not the Heart of the World? I mean, it's just--I would’ve guessed, ah... er... considering it’s like your actual heart and everything...”

“Ah. Yes, I suppose now that you mention it, there are those who believe it was the work of the Heart of the World, instead.”

“But you believe it was Avar?”

“I do,” said Torveis.

“Why?”

Torveis laughed again. “Well, there are many reasons. For one, Avar is far more benevolent and righteous than the Heart of the World. Much more deserving of my belief, I feel. And for another, I have seen Avar in my dreams. I have even spoken to him there.”

Hector didn’t have a response for that.

Garovel did, though. ‘Are you sure those weren’t just, y’know, dreams?

“Aha, perhaps they were,” said Torveis. “But I see that it is as I have heard, regarding the cynicism of your kind.”

Sorry if that was rude,’ said Garovel. ‘But I won’t deny that I’m very doubtful of religion in general. It’s nothing personal, if that makes you feel any better.

“It does not,” said Torveis, though he was laughing again.

Ah.’ Garovel looked at Hector briefly before returning to Torveis. ‘I’ve heard that your core is also how you keep track of time. Is that true?

“Ah, indeed, it is,” said Torveis. “I am sure it was simply moving too slowly for you notice when you were looking at it a moment ago, but my core spins in synchronicity with the planet.”

Yeah, I’ve heard that as well. Glad to know I wasn’t lied to.

Hector was having a hard time wrapping his head around that one. “How does it--? Ah... I mean, how does your core sync with the whole planet? That’s, uh...? I don’t understand...”

“We are close to the planet,” said Torveis.

That didn’t really help, Hector felt.

“I would tell you that this, too, is Avar’s blessing, but I fear that Garovel here would challenge me.”

That made the reaper chuckle. ‘So what does the God of Fire tell you in these dreams of yours, then?

Torveis folded his arms. “I am not certain I wish to tell you.”

Oh, come on, I’m genuinely curious. And I may not believe you, but I’m sure Hector does. He’s super gullible.

“Wow, Garovel, really?” said Hector.

No comments:

Post a Comment