Saturday, February 7, 2015

Page 978

Hector wasn’t surprised by that reaction in the slightest, but this “Uncle Mel” caught his attention.

Garovel inquired for the both of them. ‘Uncle Mel? He wouldn’t happen to be Darktide, would he?

Ibai nodded. “Mmhmm. Technically, he’s not my uncle. He’s just a super old cousin, but he’s always been like Papa’s big brother.”

How is he doing, by the way?’ Garovel asked. ‘Still sleeping, I take it?

“Yes,” said Horatio, who seemed to have regained his composure. “And what of your Seadevil?”

Oh, he’s not OUR Seadevil,’ said Garovel. ‘We’re not Rainlords, in case you hadn’t already guessed.

“Ah.” Horatio tilted his head. “I thought your servant had perhaps married into one of the families.”

No, no. I’m Garovel, and this is Hector Goffe, the Lord of Warrenhold in Atreya. We only came to see my sister. Got a little more from this visit than we bargained for, you might say.

“Oh, so you’re not even from Sair!” said Ibai. “Is this your first time seeing the Tunnels, then?” He didn’t wait for an answer this time. “Mine, too! Pictures really don’t do them justice! Did you know that they’ve been used since ancient times in order to transport vital resources? Even when the Rainlords and Sandlords were at war! They traded valuable materials even while they were trying to stab each other in the back!”

Really?’ said Garovel, and Hector couldn’t tell if the reaper was genuinely interested or just playing along. ‘That seems kind of counterintuitive, doesn’t it?

“I know, right?!” said Ibai. “They used to poison each other’s stuff! But the thing was, neither side trusted the other, and they would always expect it to be some kind of trap. So they’d test their imports really well, and decontaminate it and use it, if they could. If not, they’d try to find some sneaky way of sending it back. It was a really crazy time! Our ancestors were lunatics! I wish I could’ve met some of them!”

Some of your family’s reapers must have lived through those times, no?

“Well, sure, but it’s not the same,” said Ibai. “And besides, Rholtam and Orric never share any of their stories, even though I’m sure they must have tons of juicy ones. What about you, Garovel? You must have some neat stories.”

Oh, of course,’ said Garovel. ‘But unfortunately, I sense Lord Dimas returning from his scouting mission. Story time will have to wait.

“Aww...”

30 comments:

  1. Ahh yeah first

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Our[s] ancestors were lunatics!"


    You seem to have an extra 's' on the end of Our.


    Also the word Our looks so weird to me right now that if I didn't know better I'd think I was on drugs. Off to vote then bed I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn cat is back. Hide the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Ibai is that much of a history buff, i am surprised he was not more interested in warrenhold. From what was said earlier, it played a big roll in the rainlord's struggle for freedom. I would have expected him to know all kinds of interesting facts about it, Maybe even ask if he could come and see it. Wouldn't that be an interesting visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you spoke french in a past life? It's a bear of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He wasn't present when Hector mentioned that he owned Warrenhold. Ibai would probably have been even more excited to be his friend if he had known.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care how old he is, Ibai is still an adorable 12-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Garovel JUST NOW called Hector the Lord of Warrenhold.

    Don't worry, I made the same sort of brain fart about a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are a few words that occasionally throw me for a loop like that. I can't remember any others at the moment but I know someone once proposed to me that 'ghoti' be pronounced 'fish'
    gh from tough
    o from women
    ti from nation
    Sometimes I wonder how people ever manage to communicate in the language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps he's not a history buff.
    You have to consider he has been isolated and probably spent some of that time learning bout his "family" history plus he probably is trying to keep the conversation going as to keep the mood no awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I just realized something... They keep saying that abberations aren't yet aren't they the real freaks of nature having been zombified and given superpowers. Humans never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't human I meant above

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can just edit your posts rather than posting corrections. Also, the thing is that servants maintain the most fundamental thing from their human lives, i.e. their soul. While they may be more powerful than mere mortals, they still have their personality and humanity, but aberrations have only a human body, and even their power doesn't come from themselves except the little bit of starter from their two reaper souls, it comes from the humans that they must kill and consume.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Comes from living things that they kill and consume. Ibai hasn't killed anyone yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so much faster to read this series on my kindle than it was to read it on my compy. If I had the patience to wait for the novels to come out I would. Oh well.


    Anyways I don't know how much information Garovel is really hoping to be able to pump from Ibai by this point. Just obtaining water from dry wells seems difficult to say the least. Unless you are Zeff. Well not that he would be getting it from the well just he could easily pretend he was.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think guests can edit their posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I meant in a general sense. Yes, though, Ibai is special in that he doesn't kill humans.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He's not a guest, I don't think. I think he's just someone whose disqus handle happens to be "person". It says "guest" if the commenter is one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think he really wants information except maybe what Ibai is like, and for that you just can't beat primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
  20. He's not using Disqus, otherwise his name would be a link to his profile like ours are. Neither is Sal, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep, I am a guest and I see nothing to indicate posts can be edited. Until you said that I wasn't even sure people signed in could do so. On the topic of things user get that guests don't, do you guys get notifications when someone replies to your posts?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I forgot that there's a status other than "logged in with Disqus" and "anonymous". Never mind

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, and also when someone upvotes them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wait, since Melchor is Ismael's cousin, wouldn't that make him Ibai's uncle once removed?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seems at first he was searching for information on aberrations, but that didn't seem to go that well. Maybe you are right, but I'm not really sure what his end goal is. Maybe just inside information from a man child that doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut? But everyone knows that so he shouldn't be hearing too much he shouldn't. Except he can teleport.


    I'd bet it's kinda more of an exploratory thing trying to find out what he can find out, his character possibly like you said, and maybe just getting on the good side of the creature that can teleport.


    Oh man I know this conversation has happened before, but I shudder to think what Ibai's kids, if he can have any, would be like. Well any aberration really.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always considered my mom's cousins to be my second cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nope: uncles don't need stain removal. Just cousins. ;) Seriously, though: English needs to distinguish between "Uncle-who-is-brother-to-somebody-in-my-primary-bloodline" and "we-just-call-him-Uncle-because-he's-always-around". :P

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Unky Moe? My sodey is too cold and my teef hurt."

    ReplyDelete
  29. ... And, I guess there's "Unca". But, how often do you hear either in people over the age of eight? :/

    ReplyDelete