Saturday, July 20, 2024

Page 3636

His younger self didn’t seem to be enjoying the view very much, however. He was hunched over and leaning on the railing, face buried between his hands.

He could see his tattoos--and Haqq’s, as well--so even though he couldn’t see his face, he could at least surmise that this must have taken place in his teenage years.

Ugh, too much thinking. Better to just watch.

“I don’t believe it,” said Haqq. He wasn’t facing Asad, but he was most certainly talking to him, as they were the only ones present.

His younger self made no response.

“It just makes no sense,” said Haqq. “My mind can’t accept it. Just like that? She’s gone? No explanation? Tiriala just releases her? I don’t buy it.”

Still, there was no reply.

“And because I can’t buy it, I can’t bring myself to mourn her, either. She can’t be gone. Not like this. She was... she is... it doesn’t...” The boy sighed.

Finally, the younger Asad decided to say something. “...This is how it always is.”

“What?” said Haqq.

“Historically. For our people. We’re lucky when we get an explanation. Frequently, we just disappear. Killed in action where no one ever finds us. Or killed in such a way that we’re reduced to dust. ‘Returned to the Great Sand,’ they used to call it. Qorvass told me about it.”

Haqq scoffed. “That’s his way of comforting you? Bastard.”

“No. It was a while ago. He’s been... perfectly nice to me.”

“Hmph.”

“...Do you think we’ll die like this?”

“She’s not dead.”

“Then do you think we’ll disappear like this, someday? Gone without a word or warning to everyone around us?”

“No. Our clan is too close-knit. This is extremely abnormal. Don’t let Qorvass try to convince you that it is.”

“That wasn’t what he was--I already said--agh. It doesn’t matter.”

And the two young men both fell silent for a time.

Asad felt like he was starting to remember this conversation. But only vaguely. Why was the voice showing it to him?

“This won’t happen to us,” said Haqq. “I can promise you that.”

“That’s a promise you can’t possibly keep. You don’t know the future, little brother.”

“Oh, but I do,” said the young Haqq with a chuckle. “It’s as clear to me as this conversation we’re having, right now.”

“Hah. Is that right?”

“It is. In the future, you become a great warrior. The likes of which our clan hasn’t seen in generations.”

“You’re just repeating the old stories about the Lion of the Desert.”

“No. I know it’s true. Because I’m going to help you every step of the way. Just like Mother wanted. Like she wants.”

No comments:

Post a Comment