Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Page 3461

Jacobson took a deliberate breath and shook his head, then offered another smile. “Perhaps I already seem like I am beating around the bush. Allow me to be quite blunt with you, then, Master Jackson. Ultimately, what I am getting at... is that I believe public support for your war would be much easier to achieve if the Vanguard took on a more visible role in the eyes of the people.”

“Visible,” Jackson echoed flatly.

“Yes,” the senator went on. “And believe me, sir. I know how my words must sound, especially to one so old as yourself. The prattling of a pampered ignoramus. Or the badgering of an attention-seeking opportunist, perhaps. I know these labels and views of me well. But, sir, the only thing I want is to help bring this continental war to a swift conclusion before it grows any worse.”

How noble. “There have been times in the past when we have taken on such a role as you are suggesting,” said Jackson.

“Oh, I am aware, sir. The history of your legendary group has been of great interest to me since I was a child.”

“Then perhaps you are also aware of the reasons why we no longer do so.”

“I am aware of various arguments, yes. As I am also aware of counters to those arguments. Which I would like to provide, if you would be so kind as to hear me out.”

Oh, boy. Here we go. He had to hold back a sigh. “I feel as though I might be able to save us both quite a bit of time here by simply telling you ‘no.’”

“Saving time, sure. Saving lives, though? That is the more pressing matter, surely.”

“With respect, Senator, if you think it is that simple of a dichotomy, then you are even more ignorant than I feared.”

“Hah. Not simple, no. Not at all. But important, nonetheless. I understand your trepidation completely, sir. You do not wish to become an appendage of some bloated empire again, to have your reputation strangled and tarnished by some bureaucratic contract.”

“Well, in the past, it was more of an autocratic contract that gave us trouble, but yes, that is one of the major issues.”

“Ah, indeed, indeed. But I am not here to try and ‘bring you into the fold,’ as it were. No, I think the Vanguard is just fine where it is. Independent of any government. Beholden to none but itself. What I am offering, sir, is simply attention. Eyes. On this war of yours.”

No comments:

Post a Comment