Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Page 3460

“Thank you for seeing me on such short notice,” said the senator, offering a handshake. “I know how busy you folk are.”

Jackson didn’t forget his manners and shook it.

You ‘folk,’ was it? These days, all of the politicians were well-acquainted with the Vanguard, but Jackson was not in the habit of meeting with any of them personally. He typically left that sort of thing to his men.

Most of those men were currently quite busy fighting a war or being held prisoner, though.

“It’s a bit strange for you to be dropping by unannounced like this, no?” said Jackson.

The man gave an airy laugh. “Strange is one word for it, I suppose. Persistent would be another. I’ve been trying to arrange a meeting with you for months. These last two weeks, I’ve resorted to coming here almost every single day in hopes of bumping into you. ”

That was news to Jackson. “Is that so? My secretary never mentioned that.”

“Really? I’m sure she must have seen me. And taken my team’s calls.”

“Mm,” hummed Jackson. “Perhaps I should have a talk with her after this.” And maybe give her a raise.

“Ah, no--don’t be too harsh on her on my account,” said Jacobson. “I’m sure it just slipped her mind.”

Jackson gave a laugh of his own. “Gracious of you.” He welcomed the man over to his desk so that they could both sit down.

What an old and familiar feeling. This stilted politeness. Appearances, appearances. Worry, worry, ever weary.

Politicians. He supposed he counted as one, himself.

Maybe he wasn’t as rusty as he thought.

“She said you wanted to talk foreign policy,” said Jackson.

“Ah--straight to the point, then. I appreciate that. Yes, sir, I did indeed wish to discuss the matter of this so-called Second Continental War going on, among other things.”

“Sounds like a long conversation.”

“Might be, might be. Although--well, ah, actually--how familiar are you with Intar’s official position regarding the war?”

He had to think a moment. It seemed rather obvious, so he was wondering if there was something he was missing. “Officially, you are neutral, yes?”

“Yes, but... everyone also knows that we are not truly so, since we are still providing considerable aid to one side. And the pressure has been mounting to make some sort of... formal announcement regarding our stance, one way or another.”

“Okay.”

At that, Jacobson hesitated.

But Jackson just waited. He did not see how any of this was relevant to him, nor did he wish to try and read into the other man’s intentions, just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment