Sunday, September 24, 2023

Page 3411

Graves paused for a smirk. “Would you be impressed if I said yes?”

Zeff did not answer. He merely returned his usual glare, though he couldn’t quite keep the confusion out of it entirely.

Graves shook his head and sighed. “Gohvis is certainly not dead. Took me a minute to clock what he’d done, but that wasn’t actually him. It was just a very powerful psychic projection. I suspect he has deployed one to each of the different war fronts in order to aid his allies... which would be absolutely disastrous for us, if I’m right.”

A psychic projection? Ah. Zeff supposed a Sparrow would know all about that type of thing. He wasn’t yet sure that he wanted to say as much aloud, though. Letting on that he knew didn’t seem particularly beneficial, especially with Axiolis' new memories now stewing around in his mind, creating even more uncertainty about how trustworthy this marshal before him truly was.

He did have something in need of clarification, though. “And Vanderberk?” said Zeff. “Is he dead?”

A strained expression crossed the other man’s face. “I’m... actually not sure about that. I think I got him, but... he had some very strange powers at his disposal. Even more strange than I’d heard--and I’d heard some pretty crazy things.” He scratched his forehead, blinking. “I’m just glad it was me who ended up facing him and not one of the others. I don’t know if any of them would’ve had as favorable of a matchup as I did.”

Hmm. “What, exactly, did you do to him?”

Graves paused again and leveled a stare at Zeff. “Curious, are you? That’s only natural. Unfortunately, I cannot explain. And furthermore, I would ask that you not speak of me to anyone. Secrecy has proved to be one of my greatest allies over the years. Spreading word of my abilities, even among those you trust, could eventually endanger not just me but everyone whom I might otherwise be able to protect. Meaning many innocent lives. You understand?”

Rather than answering immediatley, Zeff looked over the dusted battlefield another time, and his gaze went to his many unconscious kin strewn about. Only now was it occurring to him how odd it was that he, alone, should still be conscious. Whatever Graves had done to them hadn’t worked on him and Axiolis.

“Not to worry,” said Graves. “They are all unhurt.”

No comments:

Post a Comment