Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Page 3406

“Alright, how about this? You let me kill Vanderberk, and I’ll give you the absolutely best secretary in the world. Someone so good that you’ll never even have to touch any of the things that the Weasel was managing.”

“What an offer,” said Gohvis dryly. “You get to kill one of Abolish’s top warriors and plant a spy within my ranks. I will have to think deeply about that one.”

“Okay, fine. Let’s say, I don’t kill Vanderberk and instead just take him captive. Then we can negotiate for a prisoner exchange at a later date, hmm?”

Gohvis had to mull that over, apparently. “A more tempting offer, certainly. And yet something tells me that you would consider killing Vanderberk to be a greater prize than any Vanguardians whom might be returned to you.”

Graves chortled. “A greater prize than Lamont? And more than a dozen generals?”

Gohvis’ gaze narrowed. “Yes. Do not try to swindle me.”

“Swindle you? Please. Of the two of us, I’m quite sure that I am the more trustworthy one.”

“Mm. So trustworthy that you never show anyone your real face.”

“That’s not true, either. Plenty of people have seen my face.”

“Any of them still alive?” said Gohvis.

“Definitely more than none.”

Gohvis turned to Zeff. “Did you even know that this was Graves until I identified him for you?”

Zeff wasn’t going to answer him, but Graves interjected, anyway.

“I would’ve revealed my identity to them once the fighting was over.”

“How generous of you,” said Gohvis.

“They need to know that the entirety of the Vanguard is not against them.”

“Hmph. And where were you when your compatriots were backstabbing them in their homeland?”

Zeff could hardly believe what he was hearing. Never would he have expected the Monster of the East to be speaking up in their stead. Was this some sort of trick? Probably.

“As it so happened,” said Graves, sounding abruptly annoyed, “I was quite busy dealing with some of your compatriots, Scourge.”

“Of course. Ever the magnanimous defender of the innocent, aren’t you?” Gohvis folded his arms. “Remind me again: how was it that so many of the Rainlords that you captured ended up here, in Vanderberk’s clutches?”

At that, Graves was silent. His gaze lingered on Gohvis, and he tilted his head slightly.

Zeff hated to admit it, but the Monster had made a damn good point. And the Water Dragon of Sair had to say as much. “Answer his question.”

No comments:

Post a Comment