Sunday, January 17, 2021

Page 2949

Damian folded his arms. "You seek an alliance now, of all times?"

"I seek to rekindle what we once had," said Germal. "You do not trust me. That's fine. Verify for yourself that what I say is the truth. Parson and Overra are in Morgunov's clutches. You, more than any living being on this planet, know what that means. The danger they face."

Damian's wrinkled face was like stone.

"If you would consign them both to a fate worse than death, then so be it," said Germal. "The bond between us will be well and truly dead, then. And I will go to rescue him on my own. But you should be aware that if I, too, am captured, then it is only a matter of time before he comes for you, as well."

"Hmph. Perhaps it would be better to have you take my secret to the grave, then," said Damian.

At that, Koh turned his massive head toward Damian and began growling.

And the air grew so oppressive that Cisco suddenly found it difficult even to breathe, much less move.

"...Hah. If you think you are capable of killing me, then feel free to try. I came prepared."

"I'm sure you did."

A long period of heavy silence followed, until at length, Germal broke it.

"Does no remnant of camaraderie remain within that broken heart of yours?" the horned man asked. "If not for me, then for Parson, at least?"

"You tell me," said Damian. "You're the expert on feelings, aren't you?"

"Damian..."

"What? Is this not what you wanted when you tried to make me your puppet?"

"For the last time, that was not my intention. I was foolish and lacked experience with my--"

"Save your excuses. And don't apologize, either, for that matter." Damian paused for a throaty chortle. "Y'know, in a way, you granted me freedom. Going half-mad has had its perks."

No comments:

Post a Comment