Friday, December 25, 2020

Page 2877

~~Christmas Day Special - (page 7 of 24)~~

Geez, Hector thought. Just how far ahead was she thinking here? "She's not that old, Your Highness..."

She gave him a look. "It has been making me wonder if we should try to find a reaper for her. That would give me peace of mind. Somewhat, at least."

He scratched his brow at that notion. A reaper for Amelia Carthrace? Hmm.

The Queen was still giving him that same look, as if there was more she was trying to say.

"...The Rainlords don't have any available reapers, if that's what you're getting at," he said.

"Hmm." She looked away, then promptly looked back at him again.

And again, he understood without explanation. "I... don't think the Sandlords have any available, either. But I suppose I could check..."

"It would not be ideal if the reaper has divided loyalties," said the Queen, "but if it cannot be helped, then so be it. As long as it is a division between allies, then I suppose it would suffice. Assuming the reaper is trustworthy, of course. I would want to meet them. Several times, in fact, before any commitment is made."

"You're talking like it's already been decided..."

The Queen breathed a slight laugh. "True. I have been thinking about it for a while, I suppose, so my mind is already made up. Do you think Amelia might have a problem with it?"

Now there was a question. As much as he might've liked to think that becoming a servant was all upsides and no downsides, he knew that wasn't quite true. Even assuming they could find a reliable reaper--which was a big assumption--the Madame Cathrace might not love the idea of letting herself be killed as part of the process.

That would be like the ultimate trust exercise. And it wouldn't be terribly unreasonable if she didn't want to go through with it, he felt.

"I honestly don't know," said Hector. "And, uh... I'm not really sure how I would broach the subject with her, either..."

"I do not mind doing it," said the Queen.

Somehow, he wasn't surprised by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment