Friday, December 25, 2020

Page 2876

~~Christmas Day Special - (page 6 of 24)~~

The Queen gave him a sympathetic smile--or a patronizing one. He couldn't quite tell which, and he didn't like the uncertainty he was feeling about it.

"I appreciate you saying that," said the Queen, "but I do not think you will have the time to monitor all of your accounts for such activity. And the more your bank grows, the more difficult that problem will become."

"So I'll hire someone," he said. "A whole team, if need be. It's important enough to warrant it, I think. And I'm sure Amelia will agree."

The Queen paused again. "Amelia, is it? You've grown quite familiar with her in these past few months, it would seem."

Had he? Oh. He didn't typically use her first name out loud, did he? Either way, that was beside the point. "That... doesn't seem relevant to what we were talking about, Your Highness."

"How much do you trust her, Hector?"

He blinked at that question. "Well... quite a bit. I mean, you appointed her to be my financial advisor, Your Highness."

She took a deep breath. "Yes, I did. However, I did not foresee how pivotal her role in things would soon become. By your side, she is on track to become one of the most powerful individuals in the country. And perhaps beyond, judging from the way you are talking."

Hector's posture stiffened in his chair. "Do you not trust her?"

She bobbed her head a little. "For the most part, I do. Her family is another matter, but her strained relationship with them makes that a moot point. My only issue with her--impolite as this may be to say--is her age."

Hector just cocked an eyebrow at that. Impolite was right. Damn.

"Oh, do not look at me like that," she said. "I adore Amelia. I truly do. And it is precisely for that reason that I worry what will become of your bank once she is no longer able to run it for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment