'It's just a little pocket dimension,' said Hector. 'No big deal. We've visited these before.'
'Yeah, and I'm getting kinda SICK of it at this point. At least tell me you did it on purpose this time.'
'I did, yeah.'
'Well, good. I guess that can be considered progress.'
And then there was an awkward silence.
'...But now what?' said Garovel.
'...I honestly have no idea. I was in a pretty desperate situation back there, and I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with it.'
'Hector, there IS no dealing with it. You picked a fight with Sermung. Y'know, like an idiot. Even if you somehow have more tricks up your sleeve that even I don't know about, there will come a point where you just have to face the music.'
'Hey, aren't you supposed to be more supportive? Telling me not to give up and shit?'
'I mean, if he was actually trying to kill us, then yeah. But I'm sure he's just gonna give you a well-deserved smacking. I don't see much point in dragging this out, Hector.'
'Agh. You don't get it.'
'No. I really don't. You said something about his soul dying, didn't you? I didn't press you before, but it seems we have some time now. Wanna elaborate on that?'
Hector hesitated. 'Not really.'
'Hector...'
'Do you really need me to explain?'
Now Garovel hesitated. 'You think he's suicidal.'
'I know he is. I can feel it in his aura. He hides it well, but it's there. And it's bad.'
The reaper sighed. 'Okay, but how is beating him up supposed to fix that?'
'It's not. Or at least, not really. I just... I... I don't...' Hector might've sighed, too, if there was any air left in his lungs.
'You don't know what to do,' said Garovel.
Hector made no response. He didn't want to acknowledge that, even if it might've been true. He needed to keep thinking that there was some hidden solution here. Some better way out of this. Not for himself, of course. But for Sermung.
And by extension, for everyone else in the world.
Garovel's next words proved more incisive than expected, however. 'Sermung is not you, Hector. Even if you see similarities, you are two distinct souls. What works for you may not work for him. And vice versa.'
That wasn't what Hector wanted to hear. Not at all.
Maybe it was what he needed to hear, though.
He rubbed his forehead hard, squinting against the endless darkness and trying to think.
No comments:
Post a Comment