Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Page 3417

For a time, the field marshal merely met his gaze evenly, not saying anything. Then a smile crossed his lips as his eyes eased briefly shut, and he shook his head. “Rainlords...”

Zeff waited for elaboration.

“If nothing else, I suppose I can be relieved that the unshakable pride of your clan remains intact. Whether it’s warranted or not has always been the real question, though.”

Zeff decided to push. “You did know Agam, didn’t you?”

Graves seemed to be weighing him anew. “...I did, yes. He and little Dino Blackburn were both good friends of mine. More than good, in fact. We found ourselves on a... quest, of sorts, once upon a time. An adventure that I shall never forget for as long as I live.”

Hmm. “That sounds like quite the tale.”

“Indeed.”

“And yet I’ve never heard it before,” said Zeff. “A grand adventure between the three of you would have been passed down among my kin for generations, I should think.”

“Well, there was a reason for that, too. But perhaps enough time has passed that I can safely tell you of it. And with both of them gone, their heroism deserves to be remembered.” He broke for a curt laugh. “Tell me something. Is that gallery of grand paintings at Red Lake Castle still standing?”

“...I hope so,” said Zeff, thinking back to his own memories of that place. Of Octavia Redwater showing it to him for the first time. “But I do not know.”

Graves’ mirth diminished somewhat. “Well, in my estimation, this would be a tale worthy of a painting or two.”

Part of Zeff’s mind was staying on Octavia, though. Her reaper, Wen, should’ve been around here somewhere. All of his brethren were still strewn about the sundered battleground, unconscious. Of course, they were all undead or reapers, so they would be fine, but the impulse to begin taking them all back to their encampment was quite strong.

Unfortunately, the opportunity to speak so candidly with a field marshal was too rare to pass up.

Just a little longer, Zeff thought.

“You’ve been to Red Lake before, then,” said Zeff.

“Oh yes. And I should like to visit again, once you recover it for your people.”

Zeff blinked at the sudden optimism. “I’m sure that could be arranged. And you are right to assume that we will be able to recover it, but I am surprised to hear you having such faith in us.”

“Heh.”

No comments:

Post a Comment