"Listen, Hector," said Sermung. "Jackson means well. He's a swell guy. But he's very controlling. Don't ever sign anything he gives you."
It's not 'controlling.' It's simply 'organized.' Something you have never and obviously WILL never understand.
"Yeah, yeah, just relax, would you? Hector's fine. You're worried you can't speak freely in front of him, I assume? I'll vouch for him."
Unbelievable. You'll 'vouch' for him? You are the most powerful man on the planet controlling the most powerful organization on the planet. Operational security isn't something you 'vouch' for.
"Why not?"
Even all the way back in the archive room, Jackson had to pause, blink, and sigh.
How long have you known this guy, exactly?
Sermung gave an armored shrug. "Twenty minutes or so?"
Suddenly, Jackson found himself wanting these two to resume fighting, if only so he could join in on Hector's side.
Hector chimed in now. "It'--uh... I would actually be very interested in meeting with you in person, Mr. Sentinel."
Oh?
"Hector, please. You're encouraging him, and that's not a good thing."
"Yeah, but I mean, if it pisses you off, then it can't be all bad, right?"
"Oh, you little brat. Still keen to fight, are you?"
"I sure am. And I know you are, too."
Okay, this kid was growing on him, Jackson thought. His file was an interesting read, too. Updated most recently by Xander, of all people. Apparently, they'd met in a foundational realm.
Also, 'Mr. Sentinel?' That was a new one. Taken from Radiant Sentinel, of course. A moniker that Jackson had never particularly loved, considering how overly grandiose it sounded--but he'd also not had a true last name in centuries, and frankly, when used like that, he didn't hate it.
Still, there was a time and place for indulgence, and this was not it. Jackson needed to rein these two in, not exacerbate whatever silliness they were getting up to.
Abolish has infiltrated the city, Jackson told them.
Neither of them seemed surprised.
"At this point, it'd be stranger if they hadn't," said Sermung.
"How bad is it, though?" said Hector. "Enough to worry you?"
"He's always worrying. It's one of his favorite pasttimes."
"It's one of yours, too."
"Oh, kiddo, you could at least act nicer to me in front of others."
"I could. But why, though?"
"You really just want me to punch you, don't you?"
No comments:
Post a Comment