Saturday, February 17, 2018

Page 1552

((Double Saturday -- Page 2 of 2))
“He really is a god,” said Lenos. The man sounded convinced now.

Royo remained skeptical, however. Just because he did not have an immediate explanation did not mean there wasn’t one.

But he couldn’t deny that, more than ever now, he wanted to believe. If Malast truly was a god, then that might truly have been Secho’s remains in his hands. And Royo might truly be able to...

He shook his head. He needed to focus. The tournament was not yet done, and his most difficult opponents were no doubt still ahead.

“I will support you however I can,” said Lenos.

Royo blinked.

“I don’t intend to gamble with my own life any more than I have to,” said Lenos. “And I don’t have aspirations to godhood, so you go right ahead with all of this, if that’s what you want. I--”

Royo clasped his hand over the other man’s mouth. “Do not say that you surrender. Not just yet, anyway. Help me to examine the treasure in this room, first.” He pulled his hand away.

“...Alright.” Lenos eyed the glowing pile to Royo’s right, then straightened his back and sauntered over to it. “How much do you know about treasure hunting, by the way?”

Royo followed his lead. “A fair amount--though not as much as someone like Kogibur would, I suspect.”

“Heh.” Lenos didn’t remove his eyes from the treasure.

That meager reaction was more than enough of an affirmation for Royo’s suspicions. He had been wanting to confirm Lenos’ true identity as the infamous thief, Kogibur, and he was glad to have finally found the opportunity.

Royo looked over the treasure himself, but nothing here sparked immediate recognition. He’d gotten very lucky in the first round, he knew.

“I wish we could take everything here,” said Lenos.

“We will,” said Royo, and he heard Lenos snicker. “But for now, find me something that would assist me in a fight.”

“Hmm. In that case, you have your pick of this, this, and this.”

Royo examined each item that he’d pointed at but didn’t dare touch any of them yet.

The first was a small orb, translucent and very fragile-looking, though if it had survived all this time, then it was probably more durable than it appeared. When he focused, Royo could indeed sense ardor in it, bearing a decidedly unique flow. Swirling like a tiny, contained sulfur storm.

“That one, I believe, is the Sasume.”

The Piercing Eye? The name sounded familiar, but he couldn’t place it. “What can it do?”

“According to my information, it will either reveal the innate secrets of the world around you... or drive you mad.” A beat passed. “Or possibly both.”

Royo gave him a look.

“Hey, I wouldn’t touch it, but you? I figured, you’re already trying to fuse yourself with a god, so maybe you’re crazy enough to choose this, too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment